Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I think I bottled my big beer WAY too soon...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2010, 08:07 PM   #11
funkapottomous
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter1 View Post
I agree that bottle bombs are a very bad thing, but KILL YOU? Come on. Unless your holding it up to your ear like a phone, or wearing them as a necklace, you might get cut, but death by homebrew, thats no good

(btw all meant in fun, Minky)
a shard of class to the neck can be deadly, even if it's not big enough to cut a large vein.

could you imagine getting a tiny shard of class somehow circulating in your bloodstream?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2010, 08:09 PM   #12
h4rdluck
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

An IPA at 1082? Certainly doesn't need to sit in your basement for years...

I'd say its drinkable in 3 months no problems in bottles. I've pitched plenty of 1080~ beers with just a vial of california and get fine attenuation. maybe a little higher than normal but i'm always happy with big beers that end at 1020~

Old 04-05-2010, 08:13 PM   #13
h4rdluck
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Wow what are you guys final destination freaks?

Old 04-05-2010, 08:23 PM   #14
funkapottomous
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4rdluck View Post
Wow what are you guys final destination freaks?
I'm just aware of the threat of emboli on the body. even so much as one air bubble from a poorly administered IV can be problematic, so a tiny shard of glass floating around and cutting everything it hits would be a giant pain in the ass, especially when it finally makes it into your heart.

at the very least, it would be a pain in the ass to clean up a bottle bomb that's caused a lot of damage in your box and you might cut your hand or something.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:53 PM   #15
Minky
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 25

In case you think I'm exaggerating about the power of an exploding bottle, a buddy of mine capped a bottle of yeast with a little beer that he took from a primary, intending to use it to brew with a week later. He placed it in the refrigerator and forgot about it. About 3 weeks later that sucker blew up. It drove a nice big, jugular-severing sized piece of the neck of the bottle into the refrigerator door with such force that it made a nice pointy dent on the outside steel skin of the door that stuck out about a quarter inch.

If your skin is stronger than that door, I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:24 PM   #16
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minky View Post
In case you think I'm exaggerating about the power of an exploding bottle, a buddy of mine capped a bottle of yeast with a little beer that he took from a primary, intending to use it to brew with a week later. He placed it in the refrigerator and forgot about it. About 3 weeks later that sucker blew up. It drove a nice big, jugular-severing sized piece of the neck of the bottle into the refrigerator door with such force that it made a nice pointy dent on the outside steel skin of the door that stuck out about a quarter inch.

If your skin is stronger than that door, I wouldn't worry about it.
People have gotten seriously injured by bottle bombs. It is a possibility that it could kill you. Likely, no, but possible.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:58 PM   #17
dougf
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Seriously? Wow, I didnt think it would explode like THAT

Old 02-11-2013, 02:24 AM   #18
EZCyclone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 14

And just think, the bombers are a thicker stronger glass, at least mine are. Thicker glass, means more gas - higher pressure - bigger BOOM!

Could make for a fun sticky! I'd be up for setting up controlled run.

Just hittin rocks with hammers, it's how we do it.
~~~~
Galactic Geonauts Brewing Co.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Galactic-Geonauts-Brewing-Co/415171608577265?fref=ts
Come say hi on Facebook and "like" the effort!

In fermentors: 8 batches of beer and 3 batches of wine
In Bottles: Chocolate Stout, Hoppy Wheat Amber, Tripple IPA, Red Beer, Malty Goodness, Heffe, Cider

Old 02-11-2013, 05:05 AM   #19
lgilmore
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 145

I had 3 bottles of cider blow up at pasturizing... waited a day too long... The first one blew up in the pot, launched the bulk of the bottle with force into the stove duct fan, where it burst in tiny bits.

We wore safety glasses and long sleves and ov gloves the rest of the way. Had two more blow up, one jumped out of the pre warming pot, went about a foot in the air. The third one just popped on the counter.

While the first one was the most dangerous, if I were standing closer, easily would have had glass shrapnel in my eyes.

To the poster.. don't brew anymore it you have the tools that can give you readings to work from. Especially when you've bottled something that probably should have sat in the fermentor or secondary a lot longer.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:26 PM   #20
Likefully
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I see the above discussion happened about 3 years ago - TC Bratto how did they come out in the end?

I am ultra new brewer (my first ever extract batch is still bottle conditioning). I am trying to understand what difference there is between (a) bottling too early (while yeast from the primary is still active) without adding any primer and (b) letting the yeast run its course and then adding a yeast primer...

- that is if you are happy to let your beer bottle condition for a long time?

Quick Reply