Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > i think i am confusing partial mash vs. steeping grains

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2009, 05:35 PM   #1
yeasty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default i think i am confusing partial mash vs. steeping grains

i have never done an all extract kit. all my first kits included specialty grains for steeping. somewhere along the way i confused steeping grains with doing a partial mash. the last beer i brewed was a recipe thrown together with what i had and what the lhbs store recommended. i told him i was doing a partial mash......i brewed it like i usually do simply steeping the grains for a while. i guess i will have a low alcohol brew ? i have palmers book and have not read the AG section yet. i guess i was supposed to run the hot wort over the grains ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2009, 05:40 PM   #2
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2754 Times on 2705 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Steeping grains are whole grains that soak in water to draw out color and flavor only. Water temp not THAT important.

In a partial mash you are gathering some of your sugars from Extract and some of your sugars from an actual Mash.
To Mash your grains they must be crushed and soaked. Temperature will greatly influence the outcome noticeably between say 150-155. (A mash can be done anywhere between say 144 - 158 depending on desired outcome) You are actually converting the starches in the grains to sugars and then rinsing those into your brew pot. The sugars are what get's consumed by the yeast to give you alcohol.
If your grains weren't crushed and you did a partial mash, you have a low alcohol beer, but this would have been detected with a low Original Gravity Reading using your Hydrometer.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 05-19-2009, 05:44 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

partial mashes are where you get the a significant amount of fermentables from mashing (converting the starch into sugar) of grains, and then adding some extract to hit your target gravity...

Steeping is just that, getting flavors from the soaking of grains....but most of the steeping grains do not have diastatic power, i.e they don't convert, at least not without a base malt to aid conversion..

Think of it like squeezing an orange to get juice, and peeling an orange and dropping the peels in boiling water and letting it cool.....

The "peel tea" will smell, and maybe taste like orange flavored water....but it wont taste like a glass of juice, or have the body that a glass of juice has.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-19-2009, 05:47 PM   #4
yeasty
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

ok well the grains were crushed at the store and i "steeped" them at about 150 for 60 min. so all i missed out on was the rinse step for the second runnings ? my OG was a little on the low side.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:31 PM   #5
ifishsum
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

There's a little more to it than just rinsing the grains....the water/grain ratio for your mash is important as well. I use 1.3 quarts per pound of grain, and at least that much (usually a bit more) for the sparge, up to my maximum boil capacity. You also need to have some base grain in order for it to be a partail mash, steeping recipes use only specialty grains. Doing a partial mash also allows you to use some adjuncts like flaked grains that can't be simply steeped.

Primary 2: Edwort's Robust Porter
Secondary 1: LW Pale Ale
Secondary 1: Blackened Soul RIS
Kegged: Dead Guy Ale
Kegged: Rye Pale Ale
Kegged: Haus Pale Ale
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber
Kegged: Jock Scott Ale

Old 05-19-2009, 08:59 PM   #6
Boondoggie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
Steeping grains are whole grains that soak in water to draw out color and flavor only. Water temp not THAT important..
You're not supposed to crush steeping grains?

Old 05-19-2009, 09:41 PM   #7
ifishsum
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Well, I always thought you would crush steeping grains just like you would for a partial mash, but I didn't question it because I've never steeped. Went straight to PM brewing.

Primary 2: Edwort's Robust Porter
Secondary 1: LW Pale Ale
Secondary 1: Blackened Soul RIS
Kegged: Dead Guy Ale
Kegged: Rye Pale Ale
Kegged: Haus Pale Ale
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale
Kegged: Jock Scott Ale

Old 05-19-2009, 10:01 PM   #8
Munsoned
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggie View Post
You're not supposed to crush steeping grains?
I crush my steeping grains.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:16 PM   #9
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munsoned View Post
I crush my steeping grains.
As do I!

Old 05-19-2009, 10:48 PM   #10
yeasty
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

the partial mash kits from AHS walk you through a mini sparge with the grains they send....i like that !

Quick Reply