Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I tasted one of my first brews tonight

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2012, 04:56 AM   #1
tim2akat2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default I tasted one of my first brews tonight

It has only been in the bottle two weeks and I have to wonder why I ever bought the swill that is sold in stores. It was a 1 gallon all grain everyday IPA. I have been drinking a few IPA's and what I made was a total surprise. The head was nice but the retention was lacking. The color was of old copper with just a bit of yeast (likely my pour) It didn't have the bitterness of say Samuel Adams 48 or Sweetwater but had some really great hop flavor with just a touch of bitterness. It had a nice Malt flavor and smell that reminded me of times when I would combine wheat and barley on the farm. It wasn't raw but it brought me back about 25 years and made me remember some really good times. I think I am going to love brewing my own beer got a 5 gallon kit today and if the next 5 gallon batch brings on my great past memories on the farm I am all for it. I am going to wait another week to drink the rest and just think of the taste and past a little. Tim

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2012, 05:07 AM   #2
Atonk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 17

That is a great post. The whole process - from the smell of the barley and hops at brew time to the smell in the glass - is highly addictive, and exceptionally lucky for you, memory provoking. It's an incredible feeling to be able to make a beer that is exactly to your liking. Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply