Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I see the name Mr. Beer thrown around a lot....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2009, 07:14 AM   #1
Dizavin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default I see the name Mr. Beer thrown around a lot....

and what is that?

now, you have to realize I'm Canadian and the closest thing we have to a packaged home brew up here is buying a tin of Cooper's malt extract and getting some instructions that often don't make sense unless you're from Australia (the OTHER bastard child of England.). but the name seems to be really popular and a lot of people seem to talk about it.

am I missing out on something?!

Last edited by Dizavin; 02-27-2009 at 07:20 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2009, 07:36 AM   #2
oms1981
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Welcome to MR.BEER® - Home

it's like the simplest level of homebrewing. too simple for many. never had any interest in it personally
Secondary:Anise Oak Porter
Bottled:Double Chocolate Espresso Stout
Belgian Wit

Old 02-27-2009, 08:02 AM   #3
Dizavin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oms1981 View Post
Welcome to MR.BEER® - Home

it's like the simplest level of homebrewing. too simple for many. never had any interest in it personally
dude... it says "luck of the irish" but has a blatantly german lager in the hand of a blonde german woman.

ZERO credibility.

they can get back to me when they have a dirty amber haired euro-mutt with a beautiful smile and a knack for pouring stouts. I'm converted and never even set eyes on the product: Mr. Beer is a sham.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:03 AM   #4
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It's not entirely bad. It's a very simple way to get into homebrewing. Heck, we have an entire sticky devoted to it.

OK that said, I think it's crap and I would never use it

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Old 02-27-2009, 11:10 AM   #5
fishnfever
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Now we all can't say that Mr.Beer is no good ect, ect, ect. For many people (including my self) started out with Mr.Beer. I made 2 batches with Mr.Beer and then went to a full kit and haven't stopped.

Are you missing anything? Not really but if you have a 2 1/2 gallon bucket go a head and try out one of there kits.

So Mr.Beer deserves a little credit. After all it got many people started in this hobby, obsession. So personally I owe thanks to Mr.Beer.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:23 AM   #6
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 513 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnfever View Post
Now we all can't say that Mr.Beer is no good ect, ect, ect. For many people (including my self) started out with Mr.Beer. I made 2 batches with Mr.Beer and then went to a full kit and haven't stopped.

Are you missing anything? Not really but if you have a 2 1/2 gallon bucket go a head and try out one of there kits.

So Mr.Beer deserves a little credit. After all it got many people started in this hobby, obsession. So personally I owe thanks to Mr.Beer.
+1 I started with one of them too. That's a fair perspective I reckon.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:10 PM   #7
Thumper
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
+1 I started with one of them too. That's a fair perspective I reckon.

+2. It got me started and I have made some good beer in it. I still use it for expermential half batches.

Chisholm Trail Brewery

Old 02-27-2009, 12:12 PM   #8
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 27 Posts

I got started with the Mr Beer kit as well. I brewed one batch with it, then decided that I wanted to do proper extract brewing before that batch was even in the bottle. I still use it for Apfelwine from time to time.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:44 PM   #9
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Hello fellow Canuck! We Canadians don't have to make Coopers kits -- check around for The BrewHouse or FestaBrew kits. These are no boil, pre-made wort kits, and all you are required to do is dump them in a fermenter and pitch some yeast. If you take the time to add some steeping grains, dry hop, etc. you can make some REALLY good beer. FAR superior to Coopers. I have lots of buddies who win homebrew competition medals with these kits all the time.

The brew house

Magnotta::Festa Brew::Home

Quick Reply