i screwed up!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gristulin

Reaction score
hi everyone. i need help. i screwed up. i brewed an all grain porter this past weekend and i believe i pitched the yeast when my wort was too hot. i usually just go by touch. if the carboy is just warm to the touch i pitch the yeast. i did things as normal, but when i checked the temp of the wort, before i droped in the hydrometer it was 96 DEGREES! nothing happened thru mon morn. prob bout 33 hrs. got another package of yeast at lunch on mon(bout 37 hrs) and went home and re-pitched. saw fermentation when i got home bout 6 and pretty much nothing by tue evening. o.g. was 1.6, sittin at 1.3 now with no action at all! should i scrap this and start over? the thought of racking and re-pitching crossed my mind but it seems to me that if it was gonna take off it would have already. :mad:
thanx
zac

There are a handful of ways to fix this problem, but dumping it isn't one of them! Give it another day or two and take a gravity reading and see where you're at.

It may have fermented in one day if your wort was that warm. It still has a way to go but it's only a few days old. Leave it alone for another week or two.

Like others said, give it a couple of weeks. If it tastes like rubbing alcohol, dump it.

I think the general consensus around here is never dump till its bottled and u have waited awhile to see the final product. I say wait another day or 2 and hydro test it again, then consider the re-pitch.

You need to chill your wort right after the boil. Read up what happens when you do this and if you don't. Always pitch your yeast at the right temperature, there is no other way if you want good beer. Do not test any beer (hydrometer) until it has been in the primary 2 weeks. The fermentation should be kept at the lowest temperature the yeast works at. You most likely knew this anyway but just do it another way just to get by.
If you are going to make beer then give it a fighting chance.

Back