The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I need a LHBS

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2009, 08:56 PM   #1
Srm277
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default I need a LHBS

Alright, so far i have only found one LHBS in my area and im looking for more. Its not that im not happy with the place, but its a bit of a drive to get to and it might be alittle more expensive. I live in Wyckoff New Jersey. Unforunitaly idk anybody else here that makes beer, so ive learned stuff from the LHBS and from online here.
So if anybody know of a place near me i would be able to go to that would be much appeciated.
Also if i bought hops online in bulk, thinks its cheaper, how long would i be able to freeze them b4 they go bad?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2009, 09:01 PM   #2
Ben25
Recipes 

The closest one is Corrados in Clifton. When I was down in Rockland NY I went there sometimes, but only if I needed stuff that day. Their prices are kinda high... Bulk hops should store for quite a while, but it may be worth getting a small vacuum sealer. Definitely cheaper to buy in bulk.

Primary #1:
Primary #2:
Secondary #1: Mead Experiment
Secondary #2: Welch's Wine Experiment
Kegged: Organic APA, Kick the Bucket APA, Pub Ale, Argentine Cascade IPA, ESB
Bottled: Wild Raspberry Cider, Cyser, Insane IPA, Lady Bug Pumpkin Ale, Cider, Christmas Cider.
RIP: Raspberry Hefeweizen, Hoppy Lager, California Common, Oktoberfest, Hefeweizen, Melted tubing brown ale, Honey blonde ale

Old 01-23-2009, 12:11 AM   #3
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 26 Posts

I feel your pain. So far the closest HBS I've found is about a 6 hour drive from home. Not exactly Local, if you ask me.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:08 AM   #4
Srm277
Recipes 

I've been told tale of other places then Corrados, but just of tale and no more. I don't really wanna order online unless i have to, and mayb for the hops it would b worth it, but for the other stuff i would like to look at it in hand till i actually know more about everything.
Thats why i am in search of these LHBS that might be around here. You would think there would be more, just to sell the ingredients, if not only the pure basics for it.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:07 AM   #5
Ben25
Recipes 

I think there's a place in Eastchester under the True Value, but that's further away. Also there's a BOP/HBS in Freehold that is much nicer than Corrados and has much better prices. But that's over an hour away...

Primary #1:
Primary #2:
Secondary #1: Mead Experiment
Secondary #2: Welch's Wine Experiment
Kegged: Organic APA, Kick the Bucket APA, Pub Ale, Argentine Cascade IPA, ESB
Bottled: Wild Raspberry Cider, Cyser, Insane IPA, Lady Bug Pumpkin Ale, Cider, Christmas Cider.
RIP: Raspberry Hefeweizen, Hoppy Lager, California Common, Oktoberfest, Hefeweizen, Melted tubing brown ale, Honey blonde ale

Old 01-23-2009, 06:58 AM   #6
Kungpaodog
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm not in the area, but I can say that it may be worth it to do an extra drive once a month or so. Most supplies should keep at your house for at least a couple months as long as you store them well.

I think I got lucky because the first LHBS I came across has been the best one I've seen in my area yet. After seeing what the other stores have for selection (bleh) and prices (ugh), I'd gladly drive a couple hours each way to get stuff from the good shop in my area.

Kelpie Home Brewery, Lafayette Colorado
Primary: Creek Dog Stout x2, Two Dogs IPA, Grinning Kelpie Wheat
Secondary: empty :(
In Bottles: Belgian Wheat

Quick Reply