New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I need help/critique on an Abita Andygator clone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 09:57 PM   #1
boomtown25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default I need help/critique on an Abita Andygator clone

I have been asked to do a clone of this for a friend and this is the best clone recipe I have come across so far:

10# Blegian Pils
3# Briess Pilsen Light DME
1# Munich Malt
0.8# Carapils/Dextrine
0.8# Briess Caramel 80L

1oz Perle at 60 min.
1oz Perle at 40 min.
1oz Perle at 20 min.
1oz Perle at 10 min.

This recipe has the yeast listed as Wyeast 3787, but all the rest of the other clone recipes I have come across had a lager yeast. I do not have the ability to do a lager. So here are my questions:

1. Does this sound pretty decent (as a clone)
2. Can someone tell me how to turn this into AG (or if not, should I wait late in the boil to add the DME?)
3. Am I good with this yeast?

Thanks in advance beer ninjas!

PRIMARY 4: EMPTY
BOTTLED: Caribou Slobber 6/9/11 (Gone)
BOTTLED: Bavarian Hefweizen 6/15/11 (Gone)
BOTTLED: Warrior IPA 6/23/11 (Gone)
BOTTLED: Dunkelweizen PM 6/30/11
BOTTLED: Amarillo IPA 7/26/11
ON DECK: APA or Centennial Blonde

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2012, 07:01 AM   #2
ashplub
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This was one of the first craft brews I ever had...Cant remember much about it except that the guy that I was drinking with had an arrogant bastard and that I was blown away by that in comparison.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:54 AM   #3
wmarkw
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have been looking for an AG recipe of Andy Gator!! No luck

Maya Jane Brewing Co.
Evans, GA

Primary #2 Yooper Ale w/ a hop twist
Primary #3 Lake Front IPA clone
Primary #4 Amber Ale

Bottled: Gaelic Ale Highland Brewing Co. Clone
Bottled: Terrapin Rye Pale Ale
Bottled: Fruit Looper Ale

Old 02-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #4
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 35

It's a Hellesbock, a lager, so you'll want to use a lager yeast and cold age it if you want it to come out close. Swamp coolers are pretty easy to make and if you use a towell/t-shirt to wick some of the water, a cheap fan blowing on it, and maybe some frozen water bottles in the swamp cooler if necessary...it can be done cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 02-14-2012, 01:46 AM   #5
clay9_24
beerganeer

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Add me to the andygator AG recipe hunt. If I ever find that recipe (and can produce it somewhat close to the real thing) my life will be complete. I would even settle for a retailer that is less than 100 miles away that sells it.

It is always my road trip treat to myself.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:35 PM   #6
tre9er
Recipes 

With New Belgium being just 3 hours from here we get all of their brews in the grocery store even. Of course, the HyVee where I live has a pretty expansive craft/micro brew section. Probably 50' of non BMC beers, all cold.

Quote:
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 02-27-2012, 01:11 PM   #7
Andygator
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtown25 View Post
I have been asked to do a clone of this for a friend and this is the best clone recipe I have come across so far:

10# Blegian Pils
3# Briess Pilsen Light DME
1# Munich Malt
0.8# Carapils/Dextrine
0.8# Briess Caramel 80L

1oz Perle at 60 min.
1oz Perle at 40 min.
1oz Perle at 20 min.
1oz Perle at 10 min.

This recipe has the yeast listed as Wyeast 3787, but all the rest of the other clone recipes I have come across had a lager yeast. I do not have the ability to do a lager. So here are my questions:

1. Does this sound pretty decent (as a clone)
2. Can someone tell me how to turn this into AG (or if not, should I wait late in the boil to add the DME?)
3. Am I good with this yeast?

Thanks in advance beer ninjas!
Dude, I am surprised to see all the blog traffic on this recipe, I just signed up to this blog site. Here is the original recipe as best I can remember it, I have lost my notes from 1988 when it was originally made. It competed through to Best of Show in the Crescent City Homebrewers competition in New Orleans back in the day. Then because of a kind offer from the then-owners of Abita, it went to Abita Springs and we brewed her up again. It was supposed to be a one time brew up, the rest is history.

For an original gravity of 1.080, we used 95 percent Ireks Pilsener malt and 3% Carapils and 2% Munich. This is a triple decoction beer as in keeping with German tradition, so that is what we did. The hopping would have been Hallertau pellets and Saaz pellets, for an IBU of about 25. The hopping would have been Hallertau dependant, probably 3:1 Hallertau:Saaz. Other German noble hops will do.

The yeast is Wyeast 2206. It was a great lager yeast back in the day and I think still is a great yeast, but my last conversations with Dave Logsdon at Wyeast suggested that over the years, 2206 has changed slightly and become less able to throw protein off of itself as good as it used to. Make a nice starter. I am sure we ran the yeast at somewhere near 55F, no warmer.

The key to the original Andygator, and the thing you have to factor into the grain bill, is the runoff cut off. We stopped the runoff at 6 Plato so as not to pull anything but sweet wort and leave the tannin behind. This was the idea of my brewing partner, Guy Hagner, who still rocks.

A historical note. The original name of the beer was not Andygator, it was Alligator. We were struggling with a name for a Louisiana dopplebock, and my wife Sally said "hey, if it needs to end in =ator, call it Alligator." Brilliant. While fermenting, strange things happened. Rush Cumming and Jim Patton called up and said "Dude, it mutated". And I said what? because I thought something was wrong with the beer. They said "no man, the beer is fine, the name mutated. We think it should be Andygator. " And so that is how it got done back in the day.

Ciao, let me know how you get on. Andy Thomas

Old 02-27-2012, 02:40 PM   #8
tre9er
Recipes 

Wow, the original brewer posted his recipe...that's friggin amazing.

Quote:
Andygator Likes This 
Old 02-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #9
rhamilton
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
Wow, the original brewer posted his recipe...that's friggin amazing.
Wow. I need to buy that guy a beer - thanks for the initiate details on the brew. And how do you go from brewing in NOLA to living Western Australia? Me and SWMBO are both from Louisiana and I'm pretty sure Andygator is what got me in her pants for the first time

Which reminds me I need to brew this
Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH
Andygator Likes This 
Old 02-27-2012, 03:47 PM   #10
Evorgrah
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

In on this. I love andygator and to have the original brewer's recipe is awesome. Thanks! HBT never fails.

Quick Reply