Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I may have messed up but.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2007, 04:51 PM   #1
sdhucks7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default I may have messed up but.

Ok i have a Brewers Best Red Ale in my secondary. I brewed it on 11-11-07. When i put it in primary the Gravity was 1.038 a little lower than what the directions said (they said 1.042-1.045) i may have read the hydrometer wrong this was my first attempt after all, or forgot to take into account the temp. But i digress, i racked to secondary on 11-18 and took a second gravity reading this was 1.012. I would assume that this is very close to what my final gravity should be. I just took a reading not 10 minutes ago and it read 1.014. My question is did i just mess up taking my reading or is it possible for the gravity to go up after a couple of weeks? I was going to try to bottle but i think i should wait a couple of days and take a couple of more readings. I dont want bottle bombs! SWMBO would have my head on a platter if i have an eruption in our spare bedroom and leave beer all over! I have been reading this forum almost everyday since before my first brew and have learned so much from all of the posts. Thanks for any and all responces..

SD

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2007, 05:00 PM   #2
eddie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It's probable that you were just misreading your hydrometer. I would (as you suggested) wait a couple of days and take another hydrometer reading. Check out the BrewWiki at the top of the page for more info on hydrometers and a lot of other homebrewing related stuff.

Congatulations on your first brew!

Old 12-02-2007, 09:10 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

Some times CO2 bubbles can float the hydrometer a bit. I either degas the sample or spin the hydrometer a few times to remove any bubbles.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply