Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I made a slurry starter - was that a mistake?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2011, 04:12 AM   #1
Unibrow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default I made a slurry starter - was that a mistake?

I just bottled a wit made with WLP 400 - I saved about 1 cup of the yeast cake from the primary bucket into a glass jar. The cake was clean of sediment and my sanitation was impeccable.

Planning to brew another wit tomorrow. Many people say I can just pitch the 1 cup of fresh slurry into the wort.

For some reason, I decided I wanted a starter. So I made a standard 500ml starter (2 cups of boiled water with 1/2 cup light DME) and added the 1 cup of yeast slurry.

This quick starter was probably unnecessary, but will it hurt me in any way? I figure that I'd be pitching the 1 cup of yeast slurry anyway...so why not make the slurry into "super starter slurry"? Thanks for your help!

I'm trying to catalog every brew online so I don't have to keep notes all over the house. Check it out on my blog site below:

http://brewzak.wordpress.com/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2011, 04:54 AM   #2
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 321

I'd say you're good to go.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:00 AM   #3
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

You'll be fine. Fermentation should take off rather quickly with that active yeast.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:00 AM   #4
Unibrow
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Thanks BBL! This is my first time re-using yeast, so of course, I'm stressing out over minor details. I just figured making a starter makes more sense than pitching a cup of plain ol' yeast slurry.

Quick update - the 500ml starter is already producing 1 inch of foam after about 1 hour...so it looks like the starter is kicking into high gear. I'm going to pitch the entire 500ml, without doing a decant, tomorrow.

I'm trying to catalog every brew online so I don't have to keep notes all over the house. Check it out on my blog site below:

http://brewzak.wordpress.com/

Quick Reply