Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I made science! And Beer!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2012, 08:36 PM   #11
cbmikey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 32

An update here. We cracked open the last 2 (pic attached, photobucket is blocked at work!) from this batch. By far they were the tastiest out of the bunch. I must say the Hallertau hops gave it a gross dirt-y aftertaste/bite after swallowing. I won't be using those anymore. Too bad I now have 3/4 oz left that will get thrown away. Overall though the beer was tasty but SWMBO didn't approve all that much. She drank it because I was excited about it and we were out of BMC. I have a batch of Prince Ludwig Lager that is ready for bottling tonight. So 3-4 weeks and I'll be drinking that. I pulled a taste 3 or 4 nights ago and offered some to the wife. Her first response was "Mmmmm! Not bad at all!" so I have high hopes for this batch!

I'm waiting for an Amazon gift card (gotta love Harris polls) that I will use to buy my next batch of ingredients right now.

Cheers!

homebrew.jpg  

->Mike
->Mr Beer Newb

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #12
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2263 Times on 1971 Posts
Likes Given: 1698

I've never had Haulertauer hops taste anything like that. Maybe they weren't that fresh/too old. Or maybe a combination of the extracts used made the hops taste different. Haulertauer always has a smooth spicey taste to me.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:37 PM   #13
cbmikey
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 32

There was a spice there too but also a dirt-y or earth-y taste was there. It did mellow out a lot but I do know I didn't like it!

You want my 3/4 oz?

->Mike
->Mr Beer Newb

Old 10-25-2012, 09:49 PM   #14
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2263 Times on 1971 Posts
Likes Given: 1698

Hey,if you don't want,sure. I was also remembering hoe fuggle has that earthy quality too. Maybe the extracts used help bring that out? I have noticed that malts used can make different flavors with regard to the hops.
cbmikey Likes This 
Old 10-25-2012, 10:54 PM   #15
blaster_54738
BackDraught Brewing Co
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 82

I sold one of my old Mr Beer kits to a buddy and we did a can of West Coast Pale Ale and 1lb of Light DME (plus a little booster just to boost the abv). Then used US-05 for yeast. It was very very good. He's already upgrading to 5 gallon batches after how well it turned out.

Quick Reply