OK so 2 nights ago I made science... and beer!
I took a can of Mr Beer Canadian Country Draft HME and used 1 lb of briess light DME instead of that crappy Booster. I also used a total of 1/2 oz of Hallertau (1/4 oz at 5 minutes and 1/4 oz at flameout) hops and 3/4 packet of Munton's basic dry yeast.
It all went together with no problems as far as I can tell and is happily fermenting under the kitchen sink in a cool dark place. I even convinced the wife to help! I'll do some quality assurance testing at one week, then again at 2 weeks to make sure it's done. My next purchase will be a hydrometer so for now I'm relying on SWMBO's keen sense of taste to detect any sweetness.
Enjoy the pics! The last pic was taken about 24 hours after pitching and shows a nice krausen.
OK so let's try the pics again!