The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I made a huge mistake, and now I'm paying for it!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
Brewsephus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default I made a huge mistake, and now I'm paying for it!

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a problem. I don't know what type of malaise I had when I made this error, but the fruit of my labor is undrinkable. I mean, it's really bad.

Here's the back story. I've only been brewing for a little while, first batch was ok. (Didn't care for the style, was a gift from the wife). Second batch is bottled, need a little more time to condition. Second batch should turn out nicely. Third batch...thats when the train went off the tracks. I was trying to brew a big IPA. I got a great recipe from BYO.com (http://www.byo.com/stories/recipeind...orks-ipa-clone) and started brewing. I think because I had one successful brew, and batch #2 went so well I got a little complacent? Cocky? Head-strong? Drank too many beers while brewing?

The recipe calls for 11.75 lbs. of LME. I thought each Briess container had 6.6 lbs of LME. Just so you know, you probably already do, they are only 3.3 lbs each. This wouldn't be a MAJOR problem if I had brewed something that WASN'T an Imperial IPA. (Headstrong?) But I just sampled it and it is insanely bitter, borderline undrinkable. It doesn't start off bad, a little floral, definitely hoppy, but the after taste knocks you on your ass, in a bad way. I know some people like bitter beers, and I am one of those people, but this is a beast of a different nature.

How do I fix this?

I know some of you will say: "Let it condition for 12 months and the hop flavor will mellow out." No. I just started brewing, I feel like I'm on a roll, and I want to do open heart surgery on this batch.

Some Ideas: Mix it with something that is more sweet, malty. A batch that is high in malt, or that has unfermentable sugars in it. Add sugars directly to the fermenter? Add Malt Extract to the fermenter and re pitch some yeast?

I know someone, somewhere on this forum, has had this problem before. How did you handle it? What can I do to fix this beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
TomSD
Da Geek
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

How far along is it? Just a guess but if you brew something bland and cut it in you can probably come up with a good ratio and save it.

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Old 03-14-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Sure, you could make a malty beer and blend it back. As an aside, what led you to choose a beer from Dick's Brewing?!?!? I ask, because I have some familiarity with them, but I wouldn't think it is a commonly available beer in the Boston area.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 03-14-2012, 07:06 PM   #4
homebeerbrewer

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Where in the process are you? If you started fermenting, and it isn't complete, you can boil up some more extract and add that to the fermenter. If you're done fermenting, then brew up another, less hoppy beer, and blend it.

(I've never done either of my suggestions, so consider that when you make your decision.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaRules View Post
... I just threw up on my wife.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:07 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 1829 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 1298

If it's still in primary,that is not indicative of the final product. The hops are bitter,the malt flavor is still green,flat,etc. It'll need 4-5 weeks of bottle time before you'll get what it's supposed to taste like flavor-wise.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:09 PM   #6
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Uh, I was wondering where my response was, but now see you have two almost identical posts on this. You might want to ask the mods to merge them.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 03-14-2012, 07:11 PM   #7
Jaysus
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Brew a big malty porter or stout and serve them as black and tans

Old 03-14-2012, 07:14 PM   #8
homebeerbrewer

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
Uh, I was wondering where my response was, but now see you have two almost identical posts on this. You might want to ask the mods to merge them.
Yeah, I was thinking "WTF?" I thought I posted in this thread...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaRules View Post
... I just threw up on my wife.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:15 PM   #9
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Also, unionrdr has a good point, it's not fair to judge the flavor early on. However, if you really did cut your malt bill be half, it's still going to be out of whack.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:22 PM   #10
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1900 Times on 1371 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

I'd sayit might be worth it to try blending a malty beer into it. Or you might end up with 2 crappy beers...

I would not let it sit. Chances are you will wait a LONG time for a VERY bitter beer to lose it's harshness, and by then it will probably be oxidized.

Simply adding sugars won't help because sugar ferments out completely, leaving a high alcohol bitter beer.

Quick Reply