Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I made beer!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2013, 02:46 AM   #1
dawalkertiger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Presenting Wears Creek Lemon Kolsch. My first brew. Extract. 2 weeks in primary. 2 weeks in bottle. Couldn't wait, had to try one. Probably darker than it should be though (boiled all the extract for the whole hour). A bit hazy.
But all in all, pretty tasty. Slight lemon hint due to zest in last 15 of boil. Will be a nice spring beer!
Crappy pic.

forumrunner_20130421_204445.jpg   forumrunner_20130421_204520.jpg  

What's brewing? Well nothing yet.

mark_a Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013, 03:17 AM   #2
JimRausch
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 142

Congrats! And welcome to the insanity...............

Old 04-22-2013, 04:21 AM   #3
Anubrious
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Congrats! I will be brewing my first batch tomorrow, can't wait for the finished product...so I know what you mean about not being able to wait.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:37 AM   #4
Waynep005
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 23

As Mr Petty said the waiting is the hardest part.

"Stupid Should Hurt"

Old 04-22-2013, 04:50 AM   #5
Maybenaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

And as I'm learning, sometimes you have to keep waiting. My first batch should have been done a couple of weeks ago, but it's over-carbonated at the moment; tastes OK, but the feel is wrong. It's been in the bottle nearly a month, but just doesn't feel "ready." Like I said, it doesn't taste bad, it just isn't right, and my gut is telling me it'll be OK in time.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:25 AM   #6
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybenaut View Post
And as I'm learning, sometimes you have to keep waiting. My first batch should have been done a couple of weeks ago, but it's over-carbonated at the moment; tastes OK, but the feel is wrong. It's been in the bottle nearly a month, but just doesn't feel "ready." Like I said, it doesn't taste bad, it just isn't right, and my gut is telling me it'll be OK in time.
I don't think giving it longer to mature will decrease the level of carbonation in your beer.

If it's over-carbonated there're a few possible causes.

1. Too much priming sugar (easy to do if you didn't take into account the temp. of your beer during fermentation. Higher temps will see more CO2 escaping from de-gassing. Lower temps mean less gas escaping so more still in solution, therefore it will reach a higher level of carbonation, than beer that got warmer during fermentation, using same weight of sugar) Fridge time for a few days to a week then try one and see how it turns out.

2. Batch Infection/single bottle infection. Some infections will be able to chew through the long chain sugars, that the yeast couldn't, which will dry out the beer and produce a higher level of carbonation than was planned for. Probably best to give them fridge time in order to slow the infection then drink as soon as possible.

3. Maybe it just seems over-carbed when it really just needs some fridge time.

Had you given the one(s) you tried a few days to a week in the fridge before drinking?? A week, or more, in the fridge will absorb the CO2 into solution which makes for a nice creamy head, better retention and longer lasting effervescence.

Sorry for the thread hijack and congrats to the OP on your first brew. Funnily enough I just tried a can of Kolsch for the first time last night. Japanese craft brewery named Etchigo. Certainly seemed like it'd go down easy when the hot summer weather hits.

Very often you can't see the important things on the outside........................................... .
.............Like takoyaki.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:37 PM   #7
mttfrog13
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 15

congrats. my first beer i believe was a mr. beer kit red ale which I just threw some hops into and boiled "for a little while". It actually didn't turn out too bad and was (barely) drinkable.

Planning: Saison
Primary: IPA
Bottled: IPA

Old 04-23-2013, 02:45 AM   #8
Cyclman
I Sell Koalas
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 425 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Congrats and welcome to the club!

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing!

Old 04-23-2013, 02:48 AM   #9
wolverines1980
Recipes 

Congrats, just finished cooking my 3rd batch tonight! KCCO!!!

Old 04-23-2013, 01:54 PM   #10
Maybenaut

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogri
Had you given the one(s) you tried a few days to a week in the fridge before drinking?? A week, or more, in the fridge will absorb the CO2 into solution which makes for a nice creamy head, better retention and longer lasting effervescence.
I used a kit (everything was premeadured). I fermented at 70 degrees (obsessively adjusting the ambient temp to keep the brew at 70). But I didn't leave the bottles in the fridge for that long (only about a day). I'll try that. Thanks for the tip!

Quick Reply