The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I love my glass carboys but.....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2013, 01:01 AM   #1
doornumber3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default I love my glass carboys but.....

let me first say that i'm a diehard fan of the glass carboys. I have 2 6 1/2 gallon and 2 5 gallon in glass, never once considered using plastic..... but thinking of getting one better bottle.....here's why......

The other day i was at the LHB and getting a few odds and ends. I asked for the cap for the 6 1/2 gallon carboy and they gave me the large one that would fit the better bottle....I said i thought it was wrong size and then he said oh you want the glass....he told me he switched because of a nasty cut he got when he dropped his. I didn't think twice about it as ive heard the story from others several times....but later that day when I was lugging the full carboy down the stairs it got me thinking a bit. I've never dropped it and am always super careful, but still I understand it can happen.

My feeling is that the glass is much better, less chance of scratching, getting bacteria, etc....but others swear by plastic....thoughts on both options?

Primary: Dirty Penny Scottish Ale
Bottled: DogFish Head 90 Minute IPA
Drinking: Raspberry Wheat, Magic Hat 9, Oatmeal stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2013, 01:05 AM   #2
ChefRex
Thanks Veterans!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1529 Times on 968 Posts
Likes Given: 2604

Sorry if you use glass you are going to die!!

“Drinking is an emotional thing. It joggles you out of the standardism of everyday life, out of everything being the same. It yanks you out of your body and your mind and throws you against the wall. I have the feeling that drinking is a form of suicide where you’re allowed to return to life and begin all over the next day. It’s like killing yourself, and then you’re reborn. I guess I’ve lived about ten or fifteen thousand lives now.”

~ Charles Bukowski,

People Like This 
Old 09-16-2013, 01:07 AM   #3
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 236 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Glass is superior in every way .... except it weighs so dam much.

Generally I use them for secondary. When I use them for primaries (mostly sours), I start in plastic and let the sediment drop out before racking into them and then adding yeast. That way I carry the wort down stairs in plastic.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:11 AM   #4
Setesh

Recipes 

Liked 236 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 269

Quote:
Originally Posted by doornumber3 View Post
let me first say that i'm a diehard fan of the glass carboys. I have 2 6 1/2 gallon and 2 5 gallon in glass, never once considered using plastic..... but thinking of getting one better bottle.....here's why......

The other day i was at the LHB and getting a few odds and ends. I asked for the cap for the 6 1/2 gallon carboy and they gave me the large one that would fit the better bottle....I said i thought it was wrong size and then he said oh you want the glass....he told me he switched because of a nasty cut he got when he dropped his. I didn't think twice about it as ive heard the story from others several times....but later that day when I was lugging the full carboy down the stairs it got me thinking a bit. I've never dropped it and am always super careful, but still I understand it can happen.

My feeling is that the glass is much better, less chance of scratching, getting bacteria, etc....but others swear by plastic....thoughts on both options?
This has been discussed a lot and it's almost like a Ford vs Chevy debate. Some people feel VERY strongly about it too. Basically the high points are

GLASS CARBOYS
Pros
Doesn't scratch easily
Blocks O2
Easy to clean
Doesn't 'suck-back' when lifted
More expensive

Cons
Can hurt you really badly if it breaks
Heavy
Heat shock sensitive

BETTER BOTTLES
Pros
Cheaper
Not heat shock sensitive, but you shouldn't exceed 125f in a better bottle according to the manufacturer.
Safer - won't cut you badly if it breaks
Light weight - much easier to lift and carry

Cons
'Sucks-back' when lifted
Harder to clean since you can't use a carboy brush on them. (
PBW makes it a sinch though)

There are other reasons, but those are the highlights. I use 4 better bottles and 2 carboys as fermentors, but I always use the better bottles if they are empty just because they are so light weight and I don't have to worry about injuring myself. If I had room in my mini fridges I would put them in milk crates to prevent the suck-back problem, but there isn't room.

*Edit*
Change price comparison, apparently Carboys are more expensive than Better Bottles all around, initial price and shipping.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:14 AM   #5
eltorrente
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRex View Post
Sorry if you use glass you are going to die!!
LOL

If you don't want to die - be very careful and don't carry them around drunk.

There's a big thread around here from recently where glass vs plastic was discussed/debated.

I'm a fan of glass, myself - but since I don't want to slice my juggular vein and die a bloody death, I'm careful.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:20 AM   #6
ChefRex
Thanks Veterans!
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1529 Times on 968 Posts
Likes Given: 2604

If you want to live, two words, chain mail

“Drinking is an emotional thing. It joggles you out of the standardism of everyday life, out of everything being the same. It yanks you out of your body and your mind and throws you against the wall. I have the feeling that drinking is a form of suicide where you’re allowed to return to life and begin all over the next day. It’s like killing yourself, and then you’re reborn. I guess I’ve lived about ten or fifteen thousand lives now.”

~ Charles Bukowski,

Old 09-16-2013, 01:26 AM   #7
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 552 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 150

My take on this in red:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setesh View Post
This has been discussed a lot and it's almost like a Ford vs Chevy debate. Some people feel VERY strongly about it too. Basically the high points are

GLASS CARBOYS
Pros
Doesn't scratch easily
Blocks O2
Easy to clean Not nearly as easily cleaned as Better Bottles.
Doesn't 'suck-back' when lifted Easy precautions make this a non factor.
Cheap Better Bottles cost less, especially when you factor in shipping.

Cons
Can hurt you really badly if it breaks Biggest con IMO
Heavy
Heat shock sensitive

BETTER BOTTLES
Pros
Not heat shock sensitive, but you shouldn't exceed 125f in a better bottle according to the manufacturer.
Safer - won't cut you badly if it breaks
Light weight - much easier to lift and carry

Cons
Expensive Less expensive than glass
'Sucks-back' when lifted Take the airlock off first!
Harder to clean since you can't use a carboy brush on them. (
PBW makes it a sinch though) Oxyclean soak, rinse, insert washcloth and swirl, rinse - done. The longest time is filling it with water and oxyclean.

There are other reasons, but those are the highlights. I use 4 better bottles and 2 carboys as fermentors, but I always use the better bottles if they are empty just because they are so light weight and I don't have to worry about injuring myself. If I had room in my mini fridges I would put them in milk crates to prevent the suck-back problem, but there isn't room.
I have not heard any concrete evidence that O2 permeability has been an issue. Maybe some concern if aging longer than 6 months.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:40 AM   #8
doornumber3
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

thanks everyone, valid points on both sides.

Cleaning is not an issue, i have the cloth carboy cleaner that connects to a drill, i don't see why i couldn't use that with better bottle.

Better bottles are less expensive than the glass by like 20 at LHB

Anyone have good experiences with the car boy carriers?

Primary: Dirty Penny Scottish Ale
Bottled: DogFish Head 90 Minute IPA
Drinking: Raspberry Wheat, Magic Hat 9, Oatmeal stout

Old 09-16-2013, 01:41 AM   #9
Setesh

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10 View Post
]I have not heard any concrete evidence that O2 permeability has been an issue. Maybe some concern if aging longer than 6 months.[/COLOR]
Yeah, they actually do a good job keeping O2 out, just not as good as glass. I would still lean towards long secondaries in glass. I have a cider sitting in glass right now that I plan on leaving another 6 months.

I am scratching my head on your "take the airlock out first" comment though. That defeats the entire purpose of an airlock doesn't it? I keep vodka in my airlocks so that if/when suckback occurs it's not a huge deal. Yes, some air gets in, but not that much. Now if I took the airlock out a lot more air would get in. I just don't see any way that wouldn't make things worse.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:42 AM   #10
Setesh

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doornumber3 View Post
thanks everyone, valid points on both sides.

Cleaning is not an issue, i have the cloth carboy cleaner that connects to a drill, i don't see why i couldn't use that with better bottle.

Better bottles are less expensive than the glass by like 20 at LHB

Anyone have good experiences with the car boy carriers?
Yes, I use BrewHaulers and they are excellent

Quick Reply