Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I lost my fermentation temp control...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #1
veritas524
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default I lost my fermentation temp control...

Yep, the wife got a job and can no longer rotate frozen water bottles into the water bath every 2-3 hours... I'm going to try the towel/fan method and tossing in frozen bottles when we can, any suggestions to keep things stable? My garage (where the beer lives) hits about 80 degrees in the afternoons this time of year.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #2
BOBrob
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

That should work out. It takes more than a few hours to move a few degrees with the volume inside a carboy or bucket. Did I say that right? Think core temp, outer layer warmer/cooler than inside layer. Plus a (big) cardboard box over the whole setup to hold cool in and heat out will help. I have different problem, its 26F here Cheers

Old 02-12-2012, 07:31 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2756 Times on 1651 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Well I think with the extra income your household has now she could afford to buy you a cheap fridge or freezer for you to ferment in now. Don't you?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-12-2012, 10:56 PM   #4
veritas524
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Well I think with the extra income your household has now she could afford to buy you a cheap fridge or freezer for you to ferment in now. Don't you?
I think you hit the nail right on the head... I'm already digging around craigslist looking for a tiny fridge or window AC unit to slap some foam boards around. It's more of a matter of space vs money. I already have a 7cu ft chest freezer for my kegs and a dedicated beer fridge in the man cave. The wife might flip if I fill up anymore of our tiny house with another device that has a compressor with the explicit purpose of beer... Then again, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permision.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:38 PM   #5
mallupappi
Recipes 

A buddy of mine who had a similar issue said he would wet a t-shirt and lay it over the bucket to help it keep it from warming. Something about condensation and whatnot... he's much smarter than I am, but he swears by it.

Quick Reply