Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I was looking at EdWorts Haus Pale Ale Recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2008, 05:49 AM   #1
hcarter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default I was looking at EdWorts Haus Pale Ale Recipe

The extract version:

Here's what I have converted for an Extract version. Vienna must be mashed, but Austin Homebrew sells Munich LME which should bring this pretty darn close to the All Grain version. Just steep your Crystal 10 L and do a full boil and follow the hop schedule.

6.5# Extra Pale LME
1.5# Munich LME
8 oz. Crystal 10L (steep)

Boil & Hops
1.0 oz Cascade 6.6% at 60 min.
0.5 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 30 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 15 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 5 min.

Chill to 70 to 75 degrees

Pitch with Nottingham Dry Yeast. No starter or hydration. Update! With the Nottingham shortage, Safale -05 is a great substitute and will make a great beer too. Very similar.

I simply need clarification on the term "do a full boil..." Does that mean to boil all the extract for 60min in what?, like 3 gallons of water. I am completely new to this so any clarification would be helpful. I'm gonna go search again, initial search did not turn up anything obvious.

Creag `An Tuirc
A Highlander likes two things naked. The other's Scotch.
- Howard
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/how-...ctorial-76101/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2008, 05:54 AM   #2
eriktlupus

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

put just the munich in for the full 60min boil and add the rest of the extract with @10-15min left. this will help keep the beer lighter and get a better utilization on your hops.

oh yeah steeping is just a less viscous mash than normal(mash conversion can be done in as little as 20min)

primary1 :UTOPIA BABY(still searching for it)
secondary:middling bastard ipa
kegged:simcoe blonde, crystal pale ale, yellow jacket golden ale, lemon shandy blonde
DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS

join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency

Old 10-26-2008, 06:03 AM   #3
hcarter
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the help on that first part, but I guess I'm wondering about the volume of water that I put the Munich in first. I was thinking somewhere along the lines of 3gal. Then heat that to, say, 170. Have the crystal steep for 30 mins once the water is at 170, Then add the Munich etc... am I on the right track or completely round the bend?

Creag `An Tuirc
- Howard

Old 10-26-2008, 06:12 AM   #4
mttewes
Recipes 

I add about 3.5 gal water to kettle, heat to 155F, then steep the crystal for 30 minutes.

Remove crystal then bring to boil, remove kettle from heat and add the munich and stir to dissolve completely and prevent scorching.

Return kettle to burner and bring to a boil. Add the 1.0 oz Cascade. Continue to boil and follow the hops schedule. Add the remaining extract with 15 minutes left in the boil.

"When you're out of Schlitz, you're out of beer."

Old 10-26-2008, 06:35 AM   #5
hcarter
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Cool Thanks. That's just what I was looking for.

Creag `An Tuirc
- Howard

Quick Reply