The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I know most won't care, but... (fermentation thread)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2010, 05:27 AM   #1
dfc
Audio Engineer/Instructor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Default I know most won't care, but... (fermentation thread)

My first brew was in primary and pitched by 9pm on Thursday night. Last night I checked for fermentation and nothing. This morning I checked for fermentation and nothing. I got home from work tonight and checked for fermentation at around 8:30pm and nothing. Needless to say I was disappointed. It had been almost 48 hours and still no signs of fermentation.

I decided to check the temperature of my wort at 9:30pm tonight and I thought I saw a bubble when I pulled the shirt up (swamp cooler until my thermostat gets here), so I sat and watched for 30-45 seconds. Still nothing. Just before I walked away I saw it bubble again. Then again. And again. It started bubbling about once every second and I'll admit, I squealed like a little girl. I was stoked! This is the first fermentation of my first brew and I thought I had killed the yeast somehow. I was beaming when I saw the very active fermentation and just wanted to share with everyone.

I know it gets thrown around here a lot to be patient or RDWHAHB, but it was easy to get discouraged as a rookie waiting 2 days for fermentation to occur. Take it from me and please just wait it out. It's tough to be patient on your first brew, but please just be patient. You will be rewarded.

Kegged: Beer
Bottled: Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer.
Primary: Beer
Secondary: Beer

How to brew extract (with pictures!)

How to brew extract (Video)

Simple bottling process

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2010, 05:28 AM   #2
Professor Frink

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

So true...

On tap:Amber Ale
Milk Stout

Lagering:

http://www.lazydogbrewery.com

Old 07-24-2010, 05:32 AM   #3
Germelli1
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 19

fermentation probably id happening, but you cant always tell by looking at it or the airlock. take a hydrometer reading and you will know for sure!

Quick Reply