Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I know, I know, RDWHAHB...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2008, 03:08 PM   #1
dcott
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default I know, I know, RDWHAHB...

I had set up a bucket with some sanitation filled water to accommodate a blowoff tube (which I never actually needed). After 6 days in primary, I noticed some mold growing in the bucket, both on top of and underneath the water. I promptly pulled the tube and put a sanitized airlock with vodka in it onto the carboy.

There are no signs of the mold in the tubing, and there doesn't appear to be any in the beer, so I think I'm ok. My main question is, at what point would y'all replace the blowoff tube with an airlock (i.e. when does a blowoff typically occur; first 24 hours, anytime)? It's pretty high gravity, which is why I planned on using the blowoff tube.

Hopefully all will be ok, thanks for the advice for future brews.

"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."

~Jack Handey

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2008, 03:14 PM   #2
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

It depends on the beer, but you can't take away the blow-off tube until the blow-off is done. It could be from 1-3 days. Many brewers use the blow-off tube the entire time the beer is in primary. Not sure why mold formed in your sanitizer bucket.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:31 PM   #3
Mirage
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Mold sounds weird. I don't get mold in just normal water. Isn't sanitizer supposed to kill things like this?

Old 08-22-2008, 03:42 PM   #4
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have only needed a once and that was when I had a REAL good starter. Normally I replace the blow off tube after the first couple days. You can tell when things are calmed down a little. Like a boil over - once the main momentum is over it won't come back.

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:53 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Are you sure it was actual mold in you blowoff water or was it some krauzen gunk that got blown off and looked like mold?

Or some krauzen gunk that got blown into the water and grew mold? Mold doesn't usually just grown in standing water...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-22-2008, 04:08 PM   #6
944play
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcott View Post
My main question is, at what point would y'all replace the blowoff tube with an airlock (i.e. when does a blowoff typically occur; first 24 hours, anytime)? It's pretty high gravity, which is why I planned on using the blowoff tube.
My DT clone (1.082 OG) didn't blow off until late in the 4th day of very active fermentation. Lucked out that I was home when I heard the airlock gasping before stuff got everywhere.

I thought an airlock was ok because the starter made it (WLP530) look like a bottom-fermenter -- bubbling up from the bottom but no foamy kraeusen.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:19 PM   #7
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If the sanitized water was only in the bucket for a few days, mold could only have formed if it was sitting in an extremely damp environment. I've forgotten about sanitized water and had some mold after a month or so, but a few days - not likely. I'd guess that Revvy is right, it's probably just matter from the blowoff.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:00 PM   #8
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2771 Times on 2720 Posts
Likes Given: 120

ditto to Revvy, Every chance I get to sound like I know what I'm talking about, one of you 'infamous' board members beats me to it. Don't you guys ever go to work? Or does HBT pay it's moderators and elitists very well! haha

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Quick Reply