Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > i just broke my hydrometer!! now what

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2012, 11:11 PM   #31
christpuncher123
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmohno View Post
A tool that floats in a tube which is relativly cheap but fragile that you use to measure a sample of wort which is barley sugar and then later compare it to a finished sample of the finished beer before bottleing.You then do a little math and calculate the difference to get the actual abv with it.Its good for knowing if your beer is finished before bottleing and where it should be and knowing the yeast attuation that was expected for the ferment.Sounds confusing but its pretty simple.
I know what a hydrometer is, it's just been so long since i needed to use one. Wort goes into the fermenter, 4-6 weeks later beer goes into the keg, easy! People seem to worry way to much about taking hydrometer readings!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 11:55 PM   #32
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by christpuncher123 View Post
I know what a hydrometer is, it's just been so long since i needed to use one. Wort goes into the fermenter, 4-6 weeks later beer goes into the keg, easy! People seem to worry way to much about taking hydrometer readings!
I simply like to KNOW what my OG/FG is on batches. I take the OG with my refractometer sometime before I keg the batch. I also typically take the FG from what's left in the transfer tube from when I keg. More so that I know what the ABV% is (for FG) and how well the mash went (for the OG)...

I also tend to give my batches at least enough time to complete, so it's not that much of a concern about fermentation being finished.

BTW, I still have my original hydrometer, that came with my first hardware kit. So about 1-1/2 years in and haven't broken a single one. Of course, it does help that I'm not using it.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply