I just bought the true brew Gold kit 2 stage fermentation, and this is my first time.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjrandall

Reaction score
Is this bad? I bought the True Brew Gold Kit 2 stage fermentation and it seems pretty solid. I got a true brew california common (steam beer) 5 gallon ingredients kid to go along with it and a 19 qt granite ware pot. Now for some reason when I was reading the directions that came with the True Brew Gold Kit, they were only directions for single stage fermentation. I have been looking all over the internet but i havent found any simple ways of adding the the second fermentation step in easily. The guy at the store new it was my first time brewing and he said that it was fine to do a 2 stage fermentation, but when I am going the directions they only direct you for single fermentation... Can anyone help by giving me a list of directions, beginning to end? That would be so awesome. I am really excited to get brewing but I know I have to wait because I am confused with the whole process.

Is this bad? I bought the True Brew Gold Kit 2 stage fermentation and it seems pretty solid. I got a true brew california common (steam beer) 5 gallon ingredients kid to go along with it and a 19 qt granite ware pot. Now for some reason when I was reading the directions that came with the True Brew Gold Kit, they were only directions for single stage fermentation. I have been looking all over the internet but i havent found any simple ways of adding the the second fermentation step in easily. The guy at the store new it was my first time brewing and he said that it was fine to do a 2 stage fermentation, but when I am going the directions they only direct you for single fermentation... Can anyone help by giving me a list of directions, beginning to end? That would be so awesome. I am really excited to get brewing but I know I have to wait because I am confused with the whole process.

You can use the search feature and get a plethora of info. Youtube and watch people brew. I can tell you but that would be too easy, and there are many informative how to's all over the place, much better than I could write up real quick. http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewingtv/

Single stage fermentation is all I do. I even dry hop in primary.

Don't sweat it. Single stage fermentation is all you need. 3-4 weeks with some decent temp control will be all you need. Some people rack to a secondary but its not always necessary. Good luck and happy brewing

Primary only(single stage) will make good beer.

Secondary after primary(2 stage) will make good beer.

Primary only has gained popularity recently since it is a lot easier, doesn't have many negatives, and creates one less chance for infection and/or oxidation. Some still swear by using a secondary.

One big question is what type of container will be your primary and will you have an empty bottling bucket when it comes time to bottle; if you are bottling. If your bottling bucket is also your primary fermenter then you might as well go two stage since you will need to free up your bottling bucket.

Over simplified instructions.

1)make the beer/wort
2)add the beer/wort to primary fermentor
Optional step)move the beer to secondary fermenter once fermentation is complete
3)move the beer to bottling bucket once primary fermentation and conditioning are complete(don't forget your priming sugar/carbonation fuel)
4)bottle
5)allow beer time to carbonate and bottle condition
6)drink beer and realize your beer is the best you have ever tasted and spend a years pay buying the equipment to make more beer than you could ever drink

Ok you guys are awesome, I just have one more question because I am going to brew tonight. The kit came with a 5 gallon plastic container and a 5 gallon glass carboy.. so after I make the brew/wort, should I let it ferment in the plastic container then after it ferments switch it to the glass then swutch back to plastic for bottling? Sorry I'm just confused at this part... I know I make the wort first but when i have one plastic jug and one glass carboy, which should be used for first and second fermenting, and bottling? Also , when do you go from first fermenter to second? At what point? Bubbling? Thanks again

I.e. most important question is glass or plastic for second and 1st fermentation container..

jjrandall said:
Ok you guys are awesome, I just have one more question because I am going to brew tonight. The kit came with a 5 gallon plastic container and a 5 gallon glass carboy.. so after I make the brew/wort, should I let it ferment in the plastic container then after it ferments switch it to the glass then swutch back to plastic for bottling? Sorry I'm just confused at this part... I know I make the wort first but when i have one plastic jug and one glass carboy, which should be used for first and second fermenting, and bottling? Also , when do you go from first fermenter to second? At what point? Bubbling? Thanks again

I.e. most important question is glass or plastic for second and 1st fermentation container..

Use the bucket for you primary unless you have a blow off tube for the 5 gal carboy
You can transfer to secondary after fermentaion stops. Check it after a week or so and see where youre at ( with your hydrometer). Dont worry about the bubbling sometimes those buckets arent completely sealed and will release co2 elsewhere.
I usually leave mine in primary for two and secondary for 1. Everyone has a different way if doing things and through experience and time you will find what works best for you

I ordered this same kit this weekend (Maine Brewing Supply -- eh, JJRandall?) and had/have a follow-up question to this one. I wasn't sure about primary fermenting in the bottling bucket, so the primary is now in the glass carboy (these are the only two containers in the kit).

1) Did I just kill my chance to secondary ferment on this batch?
2) Can I secondary ferment in the bottling bucket?
3) Alternatively, can I transfer it first to the bottling bucket, then back to my clean/sanitized carboy (where it originated)?
4) When racking in general, do you have to maintain air-tightedness between the vessels? That is, is the liquid contact with outside air supposed to be minimized or absolutely prevented (is that even possible?)?
5) Finally, to JJRandall, what did you end up doing? Fermenting in the bottling bucket? Or did you end up getting another bucket without valve hole?

Thanks for anything -- I may be over-worrying, but this is my first go-round.

Yes you are over worrying. No, you really shouldn't secondary in the bottling bucket as it has too much open top to introduce air and sometimes the spigot leaks or gets bumped and you lose beer.

Many of us skip the secondary altogether and just leave the beer in the primary for a longer period. Since our beers clear this way I don't see any reason your won't too.

You really want to minimize the amount of transfers from one container to another as each time you can introduce air and there is more chances of contamination too.

It sounds to me like you have a carboy to ferment in & a bottling bucket with spigot. Ferment in the carboy till a stable FG is reached & the beer settles out clear or slightly misty. It'll eat up any by-products of fermentation at the same time it's settling out,giving better beer.
A secondary isn't needed for the most part these days. I only secondary when oaking,adding fruit,or the like. I also dry hop in primary after FG is reached & it's settled out nicely. The hop oils coat settling yeast & go to the bottom. So you want it settled out well before dry hopping 7 days before packaging.
When transfering to bottling bucket (or secondary if you had one),Use an auto siphone,or tubing from the spigot if it has one to curl half way round the bottom of the vessel being racked into. This will prevent oxidation during the process. It'll also induce some swirl when adding priming solution to the bottling bucket. A good thing to get the priming solution mixed with the incoming beer.

Back