Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I just bottled my first batch!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2008, 06:42 PM   #1
Loup
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default I just bottled my first batch!

I just bottled my first batch, it's Brewer's Best Red Ale. I got 30-12oz bottles and 6-25oz bottles.

I should have been able to get more beer out of the batch, but when I racked from the primary to the secondary, I ended up leaving a lot behind.

I'm assuming the 25oz bottles will take longer to carbonate, how much longer it will take? I'm planning on giving some of the 25oz bottles to my grandfather because he gave me most of the equipment needed to get starting in brewing and I don't want to give him any before it's ready to drink.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2008, 06:50 PM   #2
Rezilynt
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Congratulations!!!!! Now comes the real hard part - waiting nowing they are in bottles.
Here is a good link for you to check out on the larger bottles:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=63747

If farmers make wine and engineers make beer, what the hell am I doing here?

Old 07-29-2008, 07:43 PM   #3
FSumac
Recipes 

Question.....

I guess we are just supposed to rely on the fact that there are enough viable yeasties still floating around in our beer (even after racking to a secondary fermenter) to complete the bottle conditioning?

Old 07-29-2008, 07:51 PM   #4
Loup
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The beer was very clear when I bottled, but it was only in the secondary about 9 days, so based on what I've read, there should be enough yeast still in suspension and I added priming sugar. I kind of figured I shouldn't worry about it too much and let it condition. I'll open a bottle every week to check on the progress of the carbonation. If I've got no carbonation at all after a couple of weeks I'll think about pitching a small amount of yeast in the bottles, but I'm not too worried.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:05 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4273 Times on 3113 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSumac View Post
Question.....

I guess we are just supposed to rely on the fact that there are enough viable yeasties still floating around in our beer (even after racking to a secondary fermenter) to complete the bottle conditioning?
Oh, yes, there is plenty of yeast still in suspension, even in very clear beers. I've even lagered for 3 months, and still had carbonation with no problems.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:05 PM   #6
Mutilated1
Beer Drenched Executioner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Now get busy and get a second batch going right away. This one will be gone before you know it.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:14 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSumac View Post
Question.....

Yes you are...there are plenty and they KNOW what they have to do next.

So stick them in a closet and go brew something else.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-29-2008, 09:13 PM   #8
Loup
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutilated1 View Post
Now get busy and get a second batch going right away. This one will be gone before you know it.
It has been done

I've got a 1 gallon batch of a ginger ale (contains no malt or hops, but still gonna be alcoholic) and an Oktoberfest style ale, dare I say, Mocktoberfest.

No clue on how long the ginger ale is going to need to ferment, it's almost been a week and the airlock is still bubbling, I just started the oktoberfest this last sunday.

One more question, one of the things I got from my grandfather was a large bag of bottle caps, at least 100. I didn't use them for my first batch because the red ale kit I bought came with caps, so I used those, but I'm wondering if the old bottle caps are still any good. They aren't rusty and the rubber in them still seems fairly resilient, but they're definitely not like brand new (the rubber looks a little pitted and is turning white rather than being clear.)

Maybe it's best to just not risk it, it looks like I could buy a bag of 144 for about $3 at my LHBS.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:16 PM   #9
Rezilynt
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loup View Post
Maybe it's best to just not risk it, it looks like I could buy a bag of 144 for about $3 at my LHBS.
I'd go whith that. $3 is so much cheaper that the cost of new ingredients.

Cool G-Pa by the way!

If farmers make wine and engineers make beer, what the hell am I doing here?

Old 07-29-2008, 09:17 PM   #10
Special Hops
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Next time you bottle do a few bottles with the old caps and the rest with new ones. Then when you drink them compare the old ones to the new ones. If you can't tell you're good to go. If they are bad it's only a few bottles and not a whole batch.

Quick Reply