New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I HATE bottling!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 06:56 PM   #41
apologeticus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol View Post
I know. It's got a reservoir for Jet Dry that's been filled for years. I can't believe how long that stuff lasts but there's still some in there and no good way to get it out.
oh ok. that makes sense. figured there was something I was missing there.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2010, 07:18 PM   #42
Loudog
Recipes 

I just went stright to kegging, I like the Idea of bottling but come on kegging is awesome! you can force carb and in a few Hours you and nice cold carbonated beer. Yes it dose get better with time but who wants to wait! If I want a bottle of something I'll just pick one up, you just can't beat having your own keg of homemade brew, even if it comes out as ****y as mine

Old 01-06-2010, 07:31 PM   #43
NAVET
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I only bottled one batch so take it for what it's worth. SWMBO got tired of the "frathouse" look and told me I was switchin to kegs. BUT the 1 time I did bottle, it wasn't any big deal. Threw em in the dishwasher and pulled them out after cool down and bottled away. Fill 6 and cap 6. Repeat.
The worst part about bottling, IMO, is having the empties taking up space. Filling and capping is just another part of brewing.

A "Veteran" -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to, and including his life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:37 PM   #44
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 328 Posts
Likes Given: 355

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnj View Post
the part I don't like it sanitizing all my stuff because I have to use the bathroom and it's a pain in my back leaning over the tub.
The kitchen counter and a wall paper tray handle the long stuff and will save your back.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:53 PM   #45
mojotele
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm lucky enough to have two good friends who come over at bottling time. We just set up an assembly line. One sanitizes the bottles, one fills them, the last caps them. Takes 30 minutes or less.

I'd love to get in to kegging, but I figure I should get better at making consistently good beer first.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:55 PM   #46
zman
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
The kitchen counter and a wall paper tray handle the long stuff and will save your back.

that is a great idea!! I was at HD and I saw the trays for plaster but they were too short.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:28 PM   #47
mattmcl

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Bombers. The time it takes to fill one is exactly how long it takes to cap one and get a new bottle ready. I can bottle a 5.75 batch in 30 minutes, including dragging all the stuff out and cleaning up.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:59 AM   #48
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Bring it over my place, I'll bottle for you.

I don't mind bottling at all. Sure kegging is faster, but I can't share a keg as much as I can a few bottles.

I have over 10 - 5 liter minikegs, over 20 cornies and over 20 cases of 0,5 liter bottles from Germany...my biggest decision is which one do I use for which brew?

I just pick one and go for it.

Every bottle I cap is not a chore, but a success story...

Old 01-07-2010, 01:00 AM   #49
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3446

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99 View Post

Every bottle I cap is not a chore, but a success story...
I love this, my friend.

I hope you don't mind but you just became the "preface" of my bottling thread.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-13-2010, 03:32 PM   #50
Spaceball1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I bottled for the first time last night. Took a little over two hours, but other than my 3 year old daughter that insisted on helping (and loved it) I was doing it alone.

More than half the time was spent cleaning & sanitizing bottles. I had saved up bottles for a while now, rinsing them and then storing them in the garage. They've been gathering dust out there for several weeks so I rinsed & brushed them with tap water. Then rinsed & brushed them with no-rinse sanitizer. Then set them upside down on the (sanitized) counter top to drain. I was very careful because I knew that all of those upside down bottles might fall, but I still knocked them over once. Fortunately only one broke.

I just now found out about Revvy's method, and will see what I can implement..

Lessons -
1) Get a bottle tree or some other device to hold the bottles while they drain.

2) Rinse saved bottles better. (There was some mildew in a few of them. Fortunately, I noticed and cleaned them all)

3) Store saved bottles upside down

4) Get more big bottles (I did buy some flip top 22's and I had a flip top 24, so that cut me down to about 35 12's.

Question:
I do have some big 5 pint flip top growlers from a brewery in Austin. These are a cool size because 5 pints makes for a good amount between my wife & I. However - somewhere, I read or heard that large containers like this tend to over carb. Is this true? I'm also a little concerned about the seal. Will it be tight enough to carb the beer?

Quick Reply