Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I didnt rinse my barley when i strained it into the kettle.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2013, 04:08 AM   #1
treefarmr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4
Default I didnt rinse my barley when i strained it into the kettle.

This is my first 5 gallon brew. I used an extract kit for a North American IPA. I misread the instructions and didn't rinse my barley with hot water until clear. I just strained it into my kettle. I wasn't planning on making bread or anything so I dumped it... Has anyone made a stupid mistake like this before? What can I expect from this?

__________________
treefarmr is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 04:44 AM   #2
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BigFloyd's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tyler, Texas
Posts: 4,806
Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Default

Are you saying that you didn't sparge your steeping grains with water after you let the muslin grain sack drip into the kettle?

If that's the case, you have nothing at all to worry about. I typically sparge mine with 160*F water, but it's not crucial. Failing to do it isn't going to ruin the brew.
__________________
Good Temp Control -----> Happy Yeast ------> Tasty Brew
BigFloyd is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 05:05 AM   #3
VicariousCynic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 31
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Your OG will be lower than expected. You threw out good sugars with that malt. Sparging (rinsing) puts those sugars in the wort.

__________________
VicariousCynic is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 05:25 AM   #4
hillhousesawdustco
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
hillhousesawdustco's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: up near babb, mt
Posts: 648
Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default

Can you link the recipe? I doubt it will be a big deal if you just used a small amount of "steeping grains" in a sack prior to using extract. A lot of time those steeping grains seem to be more for color than actual gravity points. Your description is pretty confusing so the actual recipe would be helpful.

__________________
hillhousesawdustco is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 05:53 AM   #5
amandabab
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: spokane, wa
Posts: 1,971
Liked 237 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 446

Default

you're fine.

__________________
amandabab is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 06:25 AM   #6
lebucheron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: La Ronge, Sask
Posts: 246
Liked 51 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default

You might have 4.8% instead of 4.9% beer now. Getting drunk will take 6 seconds longer. You are right to be upset.

__________________
lebucheron is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #7
GASoline71
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
GASoline71's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Oak Harbor (Whidbey Island), WA
Posts: 608
Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFloyd View Post
Are you saying that you didn't sparge your steeping grains with water after you let the muslin grain sack drip into the kettle?

If that's the case, you have nothing at all to worry about. I typically sparge mine with 160*F water, but it's not crucial. Failing to do it isn't going to ruin the brew.
This ^^^

You won't even notice the difference...

Gary
__________________
GREEN TRUCK BREWING CO.

"Brewed Fresh from the North End of Puget Sound"
GASoline71 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2013, 08:37 PM   #8
treefarmr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4
Default

Thanks everyone! I was really stressing thinking my beer would be watery or undrinkable.

Now a different problem.... Maybe I should make a new thread about this, on Sunday I transferred my wort from my kettle to a primary fermenter, added the yeast, sealed the container and installed the airlock. After a day and a half I noticed bubbles in the tube of the airlock.

Today (Wednesday), I was going through my gear and found a piece of the airlock I forgot to install. It's the burper thing. I sanitized it and installed it, immediately it started burping.

How bad is this? What can I expect from this?

__________________
treefarmr is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2013, 08:40 PM   #9
SpentGrains
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Livermore, CA
Posts: 248
Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by treefarmr View Post
Thanks everyone! I was really stressing thinking my beer would be watery or undrinkable.

Now a different problem.... Maybe I should make a new thread about this, on Sunday I transferred my wort from my kettle to a primary fermenter, added the yeast, sealed the container and installed the airlock. After a day and a half I noticed bubbles in the tube of the airlock.

Today (Wednesday), I was going through my gear and found a piece of the airlock I forgot to install. It's the burper thing. I sanitized it and installed it, immediately it started burping.

How bad is this? What can I expect from this?
dunworryabootit
__________________
SpentGrains is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2013, 09:00 PM   #10
divrguy
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
divrguy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Northern CA, California
Posts: 911
Liked 48 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebucheron
You might have 4.8% instead of 4.9% beer now. Getting drunk will take 6 seconds longer. You are right to be upset.
Better drink more to make up for it! :-)
__________________

Dive Often! Play Hard and Have a homeBrew!

divrguy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Red Kettle Big Bad Barley Wine pdxhophead Strong Ale 8 11-17-2013 04:02 PM
Wine barrel fermentation - to rinse or not to rinse? ambiguator Fermentation & Yeast 1 03-19-2013 11:38 PM
Didnt rinse pbw before sanitizing crstevens15 Equipment/Sanitation 1 05-27-2012 03:18 PM
Oops...didnt rinse enough drathbone Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 03-14-2012 01:45 AM
Rinse vs. No Rinse, in regard to risks of exposure to contamination. wildbill Equipment/Sanitation 4 09-04-2006 05:21 PM