I covered my brew pot. Bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhymenoceros

Reaction score
My first batch is fermenting in my dining room and Im stoked, but I've been reading while I wait and I realized I dont know whether I should have covered my brew pot during the boil or not (I did). Also its super cloudy right now (2 days in) it'll clear right.

If it was an extract brew, you'll be OK. Most of the DMS that causes that buttery aroma/flavor is killed in the making of the extract itself. Still, it's probably better to leave the lid off or leave it on until you get to a boil.

As for it being cloudy two days in, yeah, it'll clear. Step away from it for a couple of weeks.

The reason to leave the lid off whilst boiling is to reduce the DMS that is boiling off with the steam. Read more about it here >> Common Off Flavors

As for the coundiness it is normal and it will clear when the yeast are done fermenting.

My first batch is fermenting in my dining room and Im stoked, but I've been reading while I wait and I realized I dont know whether I should have covered my brew pot during the boil or not (I did). Also its super cloudy right now (2 days in) it'll clear right.

In your dining room? No problem there at all, but, if I assume there is direct light into that room, you may want to keep the beer in the dark. Light is not good for beer.

Yeah its an extract brew, I went as simple as possible for the first one. About the light, I didnt think about it when I put the carboy there and I dont want to move it, so there is a blanket wrapped around it now. As for the boil over, couldnt tell you, high altitude (6500) maybe? Thanks.:mug:

Sometimes I leave my kettle partially covered during the boil. Never totally covered. I also do not allow the condensation on the bottom of the lid to drip back into the kettle.

If you were using an electric stove and doing a partial boil in a 5 gallon kettle I can see how you could leave it covered and not get a boil over. Most electric stoves are pathetic compared to natural gas or LP and often struggle to maintain a boil.

I kept the lid on on my gas stove and had no boil overs but it came close once...no more lid for me. Though I read that leaving it on in the last 15 minutes can help keep the aroma hops aroma in.

If it was an extract brew, you'll be OK. Most of the DMS that causes that buttery aroma/flavor is killed in the making of the extract itself. Still, it's probably better to leave the lid off or leave it on until you get to a boil.
I completely agree, except that DMS causes a cooked vegetable flavor. Diacetyl is the compound that tastes buttery. DMS is what you're trying to drive off during the boil.

The only time I cover my brew pot is while I'm trying to reach a boil. After that its off.

I'm an AG Brewer so I usually just use the lid for heating water in my hot liquor tank (HLT)

Like Yuri said. DMS is the biggest problem. I hate that cooked veggie taste. I can stand a little of the diacetyl but DMS makes me shudder....

I've had Miller Lite that tasted like split pea soup. The thought of it makes me want to wretch.

I finally offer decent advice to a n00b and it turns out to be partially incorrect. Figures.:eek:

The important part was correct. I'll take that and go back to my usual nonsense.

Back