I could just be paranoid but...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigRob90

Reaction score
So I completely forgot to put an airlock on my primary after it was done fermenting...Is this a problem? I'm racking the beer to the secondary Saturday night and then FOR SURE I'll have the airlock on it. I've had the blow-off tube attached and in a water jug so I don't think anything could go wrong but I just want to be sure.

Not sure I follow... Are you saying that you had a blow-off tube in place the whole time, and never switched to a normal airlock?

If so, no worries. A blow-off tube IS an airlock. Just a big, unwieldy one that won't get clogged up with krausen overflow.

If you had the blow off tube hooked up the whole time it acts the same as a big airlock, assuming the other end was in a bucket with some sanitizer.

I end up forgetting to change over from my blow-off tube every once in a while. No big deal.

I almost always leave the blowoff tube if it's whats on there until either bottling or transferring to secondary. no worries.

Back