The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I cooked my yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2005, 07:35 PM   #1
cairdhubain
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default I cooked my yeast

I am in the midst of my second batch ever (a True Brew kit). I realized too late that I'd added the yeast at 100 degrees, not 90. It has now been in the fermenter for the prescribed days (7) and my spec. grav is 1.018 (temp adjusted) and I should be at 1.012 max. Is there anything I can do to save it? Be patient? Add more yeast?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2005, 07:53 PM   #2
DyerNeedOfBeer
Barley Sober
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

If you had signs of fermentation (air lock bubbles, foam ring at the top of the fermenter) then you did not completely destroy your yeast with the heat. If any was left and it did give these signs then you are o.k. The higher temps may lead to off flavors but your yeast worked. It sounds like you did get fermentation since this gravity is far too low to be an original gravity of a kit beer. Don't put too much trust in your hydrometer to tell you when this fermentation is complete. I would give this another week regardless of what the gravity is. If in another week the gravity is still the same, bottle it. If the gravity has fallen more, bottle it.

Beer lovers make better drinkers.

Old 05-29-2005, 07:59 PM   #3
cairdhubain
Recipes 

Thanks for the advice. The starting gravity was 1.041, so it has come down a good bit. I'll give it another week and go for it.

Quick Reply