Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I can't believe I didn't prime...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2012, 11:42 AM   #11
mdawson9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for all the help!!! Drops do sound like the way to go. One other thing...I just bought corny keg and co2 tank from a guy off Craigslist. Need to clean it and figure out if the co2 has any thing in it. Would that be better if I quickly got ready to keg? Just carefully empty the bottles into the keg?

RIP: British Pale Ale, Hefeweizen, Cream Ale, DIPA, American Brown Ale, Single Hop Nelson Sauvin IPA, NB Winter Warmer, Chimay Blue Clone, Magic Hat #9 clone, Single Hop Cascade IPA, Vanilla Bourbon Porter, SMaSH Cenntenial IPA, German Pils,
Bottled: Beligan Trippel, Imperial IPA
Kegged: American Amber
Fermenting: Belgian Witbier
Lagering:
On Deck: Citra IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #12
cullen
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

I can't see any useful way to get the beer out of the bottle and into a keg without both oxidizing it and exposing it to airborne bacteria.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:46 PM   #13
mdawson9
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So the coopers drops came yesterday and I put them in each bottle today. One for each 12 oz and two for each 22 oz. is it normal that when I cracked the uncarbed beer it still had vapor come out and when I put the drop in each bottle, I had foam spill over each time? I waited until the foam stopped and then recapped. All sounds good and normal?

RIP: British Pale Ale, Hefeweizen, Cream Ale, DIPA, American Brown Ale, Single Hop Nelson Sauvin IPA, NB Winter Warmer, Chimay Blue Clone, Magic Hat #9 clone, Single Hop Cascade IPA, Vanilla Bourbon Porter, SMaSH Cenntenial IPA, German Pils,
Lagering:

Old 07-14-2012, 07:23 PM   #14
Johnnyhitch1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 31 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 217 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 3264

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawson9 View Post
So the coopers drops came yesterday and I put them in each bottle today. One for each 12 oz and two for each 22 oz. is it normal that when I cracked the uncarbed beer it still had vapor come out and when I put the drop in each bottle, I had foam spill over each time? I waited until the foam stopped and then recapped. All sounds good and normal?
sounds like your batch was not done fermenting...did you try and taste and see if they were carbed already? overflowing foam is usually an indication of carbonation and as u said you had that co2 vapor escape when you opened the bottles. are you using a hydrometer?

Primary: Kicking Cans DIPA, ECY20 Golden sour.
Kegged: Conan the Brown, OBS (Oatmeal brett stout)
Aging: Flanders Red w/ ECY02, All out Brett.
BOTTLES:

Cider: Grapfelwine, Apfelwine, Cranfelwine, Applejack
Beer: NZ Brett (BD:9/16/12)
Mead: Blueberry-lemon, Raspberry-Lime, Habenero, POM, Traditional.
Cellar: Maple Whiskey Barrel Stout, ST Pumking Clone

Old 07-14-2012, 07:38 PM   #15
mdawson9
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used a hydrometer two days in a row and the gravity was 1.024. Which I thought was high but since it was the same reading two days in a row and it was at the three week point, I thought it was done. The bottles were sitting one week before I put the drops in today. So if it wasn't done fermenting, am I going to have over carbonation here since I put the drops in any way? So pissed at this whole thing. The beer smells and tastes great.

Lagering:

Old 07-14-2012, 09:05 PM   #16
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawson9
I used a hydrometer two days in a row and the gravity was 1.024. Which I thought was high but since it was the same reading two days in a row and it was at the three week point, I thought it was done. The bottles were sitting one week before I put the drops in today. So if it wasn't done fermenting, am I going to have over carbonation here since I put the drops in any way? So pissed at this whole thing. The beer smells and tastes great.
Honestly, 1.024 seems WAY too high for this type of brew. Hard to say without knowing your recipe, but I wouldn't expect a 60-min ipa clone to finish this high. I'd be expecting something in the 1.012-1.014 range. Methinks you bottled too soon.

My Beer Cellar

Old 07-14-2012, 09:20 PM   #17
mdawson9
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I see. Any ideas on what to do now??
Thanks.

Lagering:

Old 07-15-2012, 12:25 PM   #18
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawson9
I see. Any ideas on what to do now??
Thanks.
What was your recipe/process? What was your OG? Which yeast did you use? Also, have you calibrated your hydrometer in water and have you corrected gravity readings for temperature?

My Beer Cellar

Old 08-05-2012, 10:48 PM   #19
mdawson9
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

OK. I have an update. On 7/14 I put the drops in each bottle. Now 3 weeks have passed. I threw a beer in the fridge yesterday and just popped it open. No vapor trail and it's completely flat! It tastes amazing but not a hint of carbonation. I'm so confused...I was worried about over carbonation b/c when I added the drops, vapor came out and the beer foamed up when I dropped them in the bottle. I quickly recapped and they have been at room temp for 3 weeks. Am I impatient or is something wrong here? It is a higher gravity beer (1.072) but I would think there would be some sign of carbing. Thanks for any input!

Old 08-06-2012, 01:18 AM   #20
BrewerBear
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawson9 View Post
OK. I have an update. On 7/14 I put the drops in each bottle. Now 3 weeks have passed. I threw a beer in the fridge yesterday and just popped it open. No vapor trail and it's completely flat! It tastes amazing but not a hint of carbonation. I'm so confused...I was worried about over carbonation b/c when I added the drops, vapor came out and the beer foamed up when I dropped them in the bottle. I quickly recapped and they have been at room temp for 3 weeks. Am I impatient or is something wrong here? It is a higher gravity beer (1.072) but I would think there would be some sign of carbing. Thanks for any input!
I have used coopers drops, they call for 2 per 750 ml bottle

Quick Reply