Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I am planning to make a starter before brewing...but dont know in how much wort
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2013, 10:49 PM   #1
Elysium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 1,057
Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Default I am planning to make a starter before brewing...but dont know in how much wort

About 6-7 hours before pitching I am planning to rehydrate my safale US-05 yeast (11.5g for 5-6 gallon batches) before starting to brew, and pour the resulting cream into a bottle with wort (about 0.18 gallon), but I dont know if that's enough - or what gravity it should have- to be able to wake up my yeasts and keep them going till pitching.

Any ideas? Or even observations that you wanna share about my procedure?

__________________
Elysium is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2013, 11:01 PM   #2
nztkdt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 23
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default

With dry yeast, there is no need to add it to a starter. Just rehydrate it about 15-20 minutes before you are ready to pitch, and pitch it directly into your wort.

__________________
nztkdt is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2013, 11:03 PM   #3
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
FuzzeWuzze's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hillsboro, OR
Posts: 2,156
Liked 237 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default

You only need to rehydrate them in warm water(the temperature is listed i think its 85F), you dont need to put them in a bottle with wort.

You need to make starters for LIQUID yeast or if you are doing a batch > 1.060 or so.

Most dry yeast now adays is processed in such a way that they are "wrapped" with nutrients that aid them in getting started in life.

Use a tool like Yeastcalc.com to determine how much yeast you need, knowing that dry yeast packets have ~200 Billion cells.
Also you should only use wort ~1.040 or so for starters because one you start to get into higher gravities the yeast get stressed from all the sugar. The point of starters is just multiplication and clean yeast, not stressing the crap out of them to get a few more divisions.

FuzzeWuzze is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2013, 11:17 PM   #4
flars
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Medford, WI
Posts: 3,519
Liked 464 Times on 423 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
About 6-7 hours before pitching I am planning to rehydrate my safale US-05 yeast (11.5g for 5-6 gallon batches) before starting to brew, and pour the resulting cream into a bottle with wort (about 0.18 gallon), but I dont know if that's enough - or what gravity it should have- to be able to wake up my yeasts and keep them going till pitching.

Any ideas? Or even observations that you wanna share about my procedure?
You will kill a bunch of yeast cells if you make a starter for dry yeast. Here is a link to Fermentis SA-05 for instructions to rehydrate for best brewing results.
http://www.fermentis.com/brewing/hom...product-range/

Good luck and happy brewing.
__________________
flars is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2013, 06:41 AM   #5
Elysium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 1,057
Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nztkdt View Post
With dry yeast, there is no need to add it to a starter. Just rehydrate it about 15-20 minutes before you are ready to pitch, and pitch it directly into your wort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzeWuzze View Post
You only need to rehydrate them in warm water(the temperature is listed i think its 85F), you dont need to put them in a bottle with wort.

You need to make starters for LIQUID yeast or if you are doing a batch > 1.060 or so.

Most dry yeast now adays is processed in such a way that they are "wrapped" with nutrients that aid them in getting started in life.

Use a tool like Yeastcalc.com to determine how much yeast you need, knowing that dry yeast packets have ~200 Billion cells.
Also you should only use wort ~1.040 or so for starters because one you start to get into higher gravities the yeast get stressed from all the sugar. The point of starters is just multiplication and clean yeast, not stressing the crap out of them to get a few more divisions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flars View Post
You will kill a bunch of yeast cells if you make a starter for dry yeast. Here is a link to Fermentis SA-05 for instructions to rehydrate for best brewing results.
http://www.fermentis.com/brewing/hom...product-range/

Good luck and happy brewing.
I call it a "starter" because it doesnt really have another name, but in fact it is something else than a starter.
I am not trying to kill my yeast.....so, I want to use water to rehydrate the whole sachet and then pour the resulting cream into wort so that yeast could go through the lag phase while I am brewing. Then when I pitch the whole bottle of wort with the yeast into 5 gallons, the yeast will be ready to ferment. Less lag phase, less competition with other microorganism.....I guess it will result in better beer. That's the idea.
I just dont know how much wort I will need to keep the yeast healthy for 6 hours and what gravity it should be.
__________________
Elysium is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2013, 07:13 AM   #6
butterpants
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
butterpants's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: , Colorado
Posts: 889
Liked 92 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post

I call it a "starter" because it doesnt really have another name, but in fact it is something else than a starter.
I am not trying to kill my yeast.....so, I want to use water to rehydrate the whole sachet and then pour the resulting cream into wort so that yeast could go through the lag phase while I am brewing. Then when I pitch the whole bottle of wort with the yeast into 5 gallons, the yeast will be ready to ferment. Less lag phase, less competition with other microorganism.....I guess it will result in better beer. That's the idea.
I just dont know how much wort I will need to keep the yeast healthy for 6 hours and what gravity it should be.
Sure sounds like a starter to me. You don't need it with dry yeast. If the gravity is high, use two packages. Dry yeast are rehydrated in sterile water.
__________________
butterpants is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #7
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Calichusetts's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Plymouth, MA
Posts: 2,382
Liked 243 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
I call it a "starter" because it doesnt really have another name, but in fact it is something else than a starter.
I am not trying to kill my yeast.....so, I want to use water to rehydrate the whole sachet and then pour the resulting cream into wort so that yeast could go through the lag phase while I am brewing. Then when I pitch the whole bottle of wort with the yeast into 5 gallons, the yeast will be ready to ferment. Less lag phase, less competition with other microorganism.....I guess it will result in better beer. That's the idea.
I just dont know how much wort I will need to keep the yeast healthy for 6 hours and what gravity it should be.
So you're saying you want to rehydrate the yeast then add it to a "starter-like" wort to get the yeast going before pitching?
__________________
Calichusetts is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2013, 01:17 PM   #8
flars
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Medford, WI
Posts: 3,519
Liked 464 Times on 423 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Default

Please look at the spec sheet for SA-05. One hour is the max time for rehydration.

__________________
flars is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2013, 01:34 PM   #9
dangerbrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: At work, getting paid to surf homebrewtalk...
Posts: 313
Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Default

With US-05, it's pretty hard to screw up. For years and years all I have done is take the packet out of the fridge about 2 hours before the end of my brewday, open it up, and pitch it directly onto 5 gallons of wort after cooling. Never once had a problem with it, ever. Always starts quickly and finishes well.

Liquid yeast is a different story. And the moral of that story is to always make a starter.

__________________
THE NOOK BREWERY
On Tap/Kegged:, "Springthyme" Saison (Saison du Buff clone), "The Sh*t that Killed Elvis" PB-Banana-Bacon Ale, "Flying Hop Monster" Imperial Black IPA, "Chubby Unicorn" Blueberry-Vanilla Witbier, "Captain Meowmers" Maris/Mosaic SMaSH, "Snozzberry" Gluten-free Raspberry Wit, "Batch 100" American Barleywine (1.100 OG, 100 IBU)

President and proud member of The Fairmont Homebrewers Club
dangerbrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #10
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
chickypad's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SF Peninsula
Posts: 2,702
Liked 261 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Default

Gotta agree with danger on this, US-05 starts up plenty fast IME. I usually rehydrate but not always on small batches. Any time you add a step you are also adding risk, like contamination. It's worth it for liquid yeast to get the proper amount of healthy yeast but I don't see you gaining anything here.

__________________
chickypad is offline
dangerbrew Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I am planning to use 0.36 oz and 0.9 oz of brewers gold...but I dont know when... Elysium General Beer Discussion 2 06-14-2013 10:02 PM
Can you make starter wort in advance? beerbeerbeer123 General Beer Discussion 1 01-30-2013 12:17 PM
How do you make (AG) wort for a starter? Dan All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 83 08-19-2012 04:11 PM
How much wort do you make for a starter? themack22 Fermentation & Yeast 38 06-12-2012 04:26 PM
How do I make a Real Wort Starter? teach Fermentation & Yeast 12 01-28-2010 12:04 PM