New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I am making beer Right. Now.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2010, 08:08 PM   #1
JayD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default I am making beer Right. Now.

So far it's going pretty nicely. And really it's just been moral support from the wife, no actual help needed yet. She's napping now so maybe I won't need any. O_O

I am mashing in just now. Took a while to get the required amount of strike water, but just because I wanted to use the "good stuff" (which I got from the fridge, and it's filtered). But whatever.

I am pre-heating the (cooler) mash tun. It's a 10 gal rubbermaid round one, and it took a while to get the plumbing right on the thing, but it finally doesn't leak. I wish I'd have thought to use "good" water to pre-heat the MLT because then I could have used that as my sparge water. That would waste WAY less water and that would be good. Anyway, it's working out.

The bayou burner gets up to 160 pretty nicely (maybe 15 minutes, and it's windy) ((could really use a windscreen on that thing)). And the SS stock pot for the bayou burner holds the heat VERY nicely. But then it's about 90 degrees out there and it's in the sun, so that makes pretty good sense.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2010, 08:12 PM   #2
JayD
Recipes 

Edit to say this is my first batch.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:17 PM   #3
Diver165
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'll be brewing tomorrow. Right now I'm in consumption mode. Sam Adams and Harpoon UFO are on the hit list...then I'm kickin six Rogue Dead Guy's ass!

Old 07-03-2010, 08:22 PM   #4
JayD
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver165 View Post
I'll be brewing tomorrow. Right now I'm in consumption mode. Sam Adams and Harpoon UFO are on the hit list...then I'm kickin six Rogue Dead Guy's ass!
I'm kicking down some Guinness. Gotta have the bottles. Also this was the very first beer I ever had........

I'm honestly marveled at how well the bayou burner stock pot is holding the temp. I have not had to turn the burner back on yet, and I'm 30 minutes in (goal range 144-152) ((and it's only been losing about 1 degree every 10 minutes, starting from about 151.))

Old 07-03-2010, 08:43 PM   #5
pernox
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
So far it's going pretty nicely. And really it's just been moral support from the wife, no actual help needed yet. She's napping now so maybe I won't need any. O_O

I am mashing in just now. Took a while to get the required amount of strike water, but just because I wanted to use the "good stuff" (which I got from the fridge, and it's filtered). But whatever.

I am pre-heating the (cooler) mash tun. It's a 10 gal rubbermaid round one, and it took a while to get the plumbing right on the thing, but it finally doesn't leak. I wish I'd have thought to use "good" water to pre-heat the MLT because then I could have used that as my sparge water. That would waste WAY less water and that would be good. Anyway, it's working out.

The bayou burner gets up to 160 pretty nicely (maybe 15 minutes, and it's windy) ((could really use a windscreen on that thing)). And the SS stock pot for the bayou burner holds the heat VERY nicely. But then it's about 90 degrees out there and it's in the sun, so that makes pretty good sense.
Sounds like fun!

Something I wish I did when first starting (not long ago, mind you) was to bottle off a couple from each batch and put them away to see how they taste after a year. I've started this recently, but I'll never get the first few brews back. And one of 'em was even good enough that I wish I could!

"God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion.... And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms.... The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson, in letter to William S. Smith, 1787

Old 07-03-2010, 08:52 PM   #6
JayD
Recipes 

Honestly I drink beer slowly enough that I will probably still have beer from this session in a year anyway even if I don't do it purposefully. But I will, nonetheless.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:59 PM   #7
Chuck_Swillery
Recipes 

Beer after a year?! LOL However strange it may sound you'd be suprised how something that is mediorce can be absolutely fantastic after a year. I "lost" a bottle once. After about 2 months it was drinkable but not great. I found a bottle that had fallen over in the closet behind a box about 10 months after it first went to bottle. It was GREAT. Sometimes you just gotta!

Will run for beer...

Old 07-03-2010, 10:57 PM   #8
JayD
Recipes 

Cookin' er down now. I guess I started with something like 7 gallons of extract and over an hour I'm supposed to get that down to 5 gallons with a moderate boil.... hmmm.. We'll see how that goes. Too bad my Bayou Burner Pot isn't graduated because I won't have any idea how much is 5 gal (and I don't have a graduated spoon for it). In fact the spoon I am using is barely long enough to stir it O_O. We'll see... idk yet how I'll get it down to 70 degrees but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:09 AM   #9
JayD
Recipes 

Question. I am cooling to 70 degrees before putting in the carboy. How to transfer to the carboy? I have an "autosiphon" but the instructions say to pour through a funnel to filter into the carboy.

So, what is the way? I figure this auto siphon and tube are for something (ok they are for transferring before bottling, but...).

So do I really pour into the carboy? And what about the trub (or whatever all is in the liquid at this point, including the hops).

Thanks!

Old 07-04-2010, 12:17 AM   #10
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 464 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 65

You don't need any filtering, it's a personal choice. You can put it all in the carboy or not.

Quick Reply