Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I am an idiot

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2010, 03:23 PM   #11
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1373 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 55

IIRC, the hard boil would only drive off more water and concentrate the wort. But that would have reduced your volume too. If you use lbs. of grain x .36 /batch size = Max. efficiency and OG/ME = your efficiency, you got 93% and overshot your volume by 1 gallon! It's usually the other way around, you boil off until you hit your target OG. It's a mystery.... Are you confident that all of your measurements (weights, hydrometer) were accurate?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2010, 03:28 PM   #12
OHIOSTEVE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelale View Post
IIRC, the hard boil would only drive off more water and concentrate the wort. But that would have reduced your volume too. If you use lbs. of grain x .36 /batch size = Max. efficiency and OG/ME = your efficiency, you got 93% and overshot your volume by 1 gallon! It's usually the other way around, you boil off until you hit your target OG. It's a mystery.... Are you confident that all of your measurements (weights, hydrometer) were accurate?
yes, I even let the hydro sample set for a while to make sure bubbles were not affecting it. I have no clue what happened but everything looks good. I guess worse case scenario is I make beer lol.
I double sparged with 3 galons each and when I double sparge, my efficiency seems to go up a bit , and my mash was a bit thinner than I normally do, due to tryng to get 8 gallons into the pot.
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 04-15-2010, 03:36 PM   #13
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1373 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSTEVE View Post
I have no clue what happened but everything looks good. I guess worse case scenario is I make beer lol.
That's the main thing. I do love a good mystery though......

Quick Reply