Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I am an idiot

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2010, 04:30 AM   #1
OHIOSTEVE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default I am an idiot

BUT a lucky idiot! Can someone please explain this to me?
I made the centenniel blond recipe today. Used my burner and keggle and barley crusher and did everything outside for the first time. I did the test boil earlier today I posted about and in a half hour I boiled off 1.25 gallons ( approximate ) The idiot part is a boiled with the burner wide open and it would have boiled much lower and conserved gas. SO 1.25 gallons in a half hour is 2.5 gallons in an hour. The recipe calls for 5.5 gallons in the fermentor. SO I started with 8 gallons in the boil pot.....ANYWAY I ended up with 6.5 gallons in the fermentor and checked the OG and it was HIGHER than the recipe calls for OR the three prior batches of this same recipe I made. I know my efficiency could be higher this way but THAT much difference? A 5.5 gallon batch is estimated at 1.039...I got 6.5 ( again approximately) and 1.045!

BALDGUT BREWS

Last edited by OHIOSTEVE; 04-15-2010 at 04:38 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2010, 04:37 AM   #2
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

I know you will as so here is ther recipe.
7 pounds 2 row
12 oz dextrine
8 oz vienna malt
8 oz crystal 10
mash 3.5 gallons of water at 150 for 60 minutes, double batch sparge with 3 gallons each.
60 min boil with 1/4 oz centenniel at 55 and 35 and 1/4 oz cascade @ 20 and 5

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 04-15-2010, 10:36 AM   #3
skiwithg
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I encourage you to keep real good notes on your volumes along the way, so you can dial-in not only boil-off, but absorption, dead-space along the way, etc. Missing your volumes will cause you to miss your OG.

Normally, overshooting volumes causes you to undershoot the OG. Is this the first time for crushing your own grain? A better crush can make a big difference in your efficiency.

Cheers,
Glenn

Old 04-15-2010, 11:56 AM   #4
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiwithg View Post
I encourage you to keep real good notes on your volumes along the way, so you can dial-in not only boil-off, but absorption, dead-space along the way, etc. Missing your volumes will cause you to miss your OG.

Normally, overshooting volumes causes you to undershoot the OG. Is this the first time for crushing your own grain? A better crush can make a big difference in your efficiency.

Cheers,
Glenn
THIS. I have finally absorbed the wisdom of getting these figures down on paper for MY rig: my mash tun, my boil pot, the kind of boil I use, the mass of fermentables in a recipe, and the preheat & ambient temperatures involved. Generalizations and formulas used for things like this are unlikely to be accurate for YOUR setup.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:47 PM   #5
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiwithg View Post

Cheers,
Glenn
I have the parts odered to put sight glasses on my pots, right now using a marked stick to test levels. Yes this was my first real run with my own crusher. Did another but I used about 5 different settings on the barley crusher and had some uncrushed and some completely pulverized grains in that one.
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 04-15-2010, 02:50 PM   #6
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico567 View Post
THIS. I have finally absorbed the wisdom of getting these figures down on paper for MY rig: my mash tun, my boil pot, the kind of boil I use, the mass of fermentables in a recipe, and the preheat & ambient temperatures involved. Generalizations and formulas used for things like this are unlikely to be accurate for YOUR setup.
I am keeping decent notes but not THAT detailed.
I will say that out of the batches I have brewed ( about 10 now I guess) I have never seen this much "stuff" in the wort. Then again this is my first full ferment in glass. ( normally a bucket then glass secondary.) plus could ther hard boil have caused this? I mean it was REALLY rolling.
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 04-15-2010, 03:02 PM   #7
Ichthy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It's break material (i.e., proteins from the grains). If you have been extract boiling most of the break is left behind at the maltster. No worries. Pilsner malt, at least for me, has tons of break material.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:11 PM   #8
whoneedsabeer
Recipes 

Did you take a hydro reading of the wort prior to boiling?

Old 04-15-2010, 03:22 PM   #9
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichthy View Post
It's break material (i.e., proteins from the grains). If you have been extract boiling most of the break is left behind at the maltster. No worries. Pilsner malt, at least for me, has tons of break material.
I have been doing AG for a while but on the stove top ( full boils) this boil was far more vigorous. Again I may just be seeing it now due to using glass rather than plastic.
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 04-15-2010, 03:23 PM   #10
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoneedsabeer View Post
Did you take a hydro reading of the wort prior to boiling?
Unfortunately no I didn't.
BALDGUT BREWS

Quick Reply