Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Hydrometer: Triple Scale #6800 (USA) vs. Triple Scale Beer & Wine (FR)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2011, 03:34 AM   #1
dbsmith
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default Hydrometer: Triple Scale #6800 (USA) vs. Triple Scale Beer & Wine (FR)

So my hydrometers are giving me a headache lately. I first bought the french model hydrometer, and it seemed alright, except that it leaned ever so slightly and seemed to have an attraction to the edge of the sample tube. This bothered me because it was kind of annoying to get it straight to read it correctly. So, I went to the store and bought another hydrometer, this one made in the USA. The new hydrometer makes the old French one seem perfect comparatively.

For instance, I'm using both to read some water at 72.9 degrees F right now.
They read approx. (without correction for temp):

USA: 1.013
Fr: 0.999

Now, when I take a reading of my beer here are the readings (FG which is predicted to be 1.013, and not accounting for temp correction, which is 67.3 degrees F btw):

USA: 1.022
Fr: 1.014

Wow, such a difference! Whatever the case, I'm sure the French hydromter must be more correct. While both of these hydrometers are calibrated at 60 degrees F, the correction for each one is much different. Here is how they differ:

USA correction:

70 add .001
77 add .002
84 add.003
etc.

French:
66.6 add .001
72.4 add .002

While these scales are different, I can't see it accounting for so much of a difference in readings. Am I doing something wrong, or did I just get a really bad hydrometer? And I'm not trying to start a USA vs. France thread either, it's just that both hydrometers are called "Triple Scale" and there is no clear name brand. I think the French one may be from a company called ALLA? And perhaps the USA from 'True Brew'. I'm not sure. On a positive note, the beer from the sample tastes pretty decent for being warm and uncarbonated

I can take pictures if you guys like, but it will take me a while to find the camera charger. Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011, 11:31 AM   #2
bp262
Recipes 

Ouch, I'd guess the only way the USA made model is that far off is if the paper inside has dislodged and slid down (or is that up?). You might be able to tell, on mine the paper is held in place with a little dab of red glue.

Either way, that one is way out off from standard 1.000 in water (I think technically you should use distilled to calibrate, but I wouldn't sweat being off 1.001, personally). I'd take it back and get a replacement.

Blake

Old 03-23-2011, 11:58 AM   #3
Ziggybrew
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsmith View Post
On a positive note, the beer from the sample tastes pretty decent for being warm and uncarbonated
That is ultimately what counts ...the taste. Maybe borrow a few hydrometers and a refractometer to compare numbers. I've had similar issues with thermometers.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:21 AM   #4
dbsmith
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Here's some pictures:

Does the red glue look normal? You can see the two hydrometers floating in 63 degree water.

Quick Reply