Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Hydrometer? Some say necessary others not?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2012, 08:48 PM   #21
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoySeth View Post
If you just want to make beer then you do not need a hydrometer. If you want to make consistently good beer, then it is ABSOULUTELY NECESSARY! Personally, I do not consider a hydrometer optional.

Think about it like the gas gauge on your car. If you fill up every 300 miles, you will most likely never run out of fuel. But, if on a rare occasion, you do not get the tank all the way full, or you get worse mileage for some reason, you could find yourself walking. Yes, you can drive a car with no gas gauge, but I would not want to...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 09:12 PM   #22
jaysbrewing
Recipes 

It just matters if you care or not. If you are going to drink it no matter what and it's an ale - you don't need it. If you have no idea how to judge when the beer is done you may want it. I don't use them because I don't care, I'm going to drink my beer. It does make it harder to trouble shoot if your beer doesn't turn out the way that you intended it though.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:33 PM   #23
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 398 Times on 310 Posts
Likes Given: 602

Brushing your teeth isn't 'necessary'. but.....

Old 04-17-2012, 09:40 PM   #24
DrummerBoySeth
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy71 View Post
Brushing your teeth isn't 'necessary'. but.....
my point, exactly!

"Give a man a beer, and he will waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he will waste a lifetime!" Bill Owen

Quick Reply