The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Hydrometer sample from spigot?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2009, 06:55 PM   #1
haighter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hydrometer sample from spigot?

Can I take hydrometer samples from my primary by dispensing some of the goodness directly from the spigot?

I did some searching on the boards, but most say to use a turkey baster/wine stealer. Welp, I don't have either of those and I'm just wondering whether it's OK to take a draw right from the spigot. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2009, 07:03 PM   #2
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

Sure. If it's the Better Bottle spigot, just be aware that it can be a bit of a PITA to operate.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 10-12-2009, 07:12 PM   #3
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'd be more concerned with just having a spigot on the primary to draw from in the first place. I've read too many threads about spigots cracking and people finding their batch on the floor. At least when they were using the bottling bucket. Have not heard the same about the Better Bottle spigot.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:18 PM   #4
haighter
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontman View Post
I'd be more concerned with just having a spigot on the primary to draw from in the first place. I've read too many threads about spigots cracking and people finding their batch on the floor.
Funny you should mention that. When I was cleaning out the primary, I had it full of water and sanitizer. I noticed a huge puddle of water on my floor from - you guessed it - a leaky spigot. It's threaded, so I just gave it a quick twist to the right and problem solved. I probably would've flipped my biscuit if that had been a puddle of freshly brewed wort.

Anyways, my questions was more concerning sanitation. It seems like quite a bit of work (and risk of contamination) to move the fermenter (in an inaccessible point right now, at least for turkey baster), remove the lid, and take a sample. Why all that when I can just turn the nozzle and dispense a few oz's to my beaker for hydrometer testing. That was more of my concern, again.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:56 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

The only downside of using the spigot is the sample can have a heap of yeast/trub in it. But you just let it settle for ten minutes.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-12-2009, 10:28 PM   #6
sea2summit3
Recipes 

So many of the beers I make end up with trub and yeast cake above the spigot, making it impossible to get sample from there. If you take basic precautions to avoid contamination, your beer will be fine. I make sure there isn't a draft that could be carrying wild yeast or debris, and then spray down the entire top of the fermenting bucket with star-san. Angle the spray up under the edge of the lid. Have everything ready and sanitized (including your hands). With one hand opening the bucket and the other operating the thief, its quick, easy, and shouldn't contaminate your beer.

Primary:-
Secondary:IPA, just "IPA"
Bottled: Applewood Smoked Porter, Windy Bridge Stout, Maple Chocolate Pumpkin Ale, Maple Pumpkin Ale, California Steam, Black Cat Porter, Irish Coffee Stout
Kegged: Blackberry Stout, Nut Brown, Sweet Cider, Apfelwein #2, IPA, SNCA Clone

Old 04-10-2013, 12:26 AM   #7
filbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
The only downside of using the spigot is the sample can have a heap of yeast/trub in it. But you just let it settle for ten minutes.
The problem that I had is with the airlock, if I try to do this again I will probably open the lid. Without getting a free flow of air it was struggling to equalize the pressure. It kinda did the 'glug-glug' thing, sucking in some less-than-sanitary water and stirring up a lot of sediment in the process. Likely I will just use my thief sampler like I used to.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:35 AM   #8
dirtybasementbrew
Recipes 

Liked 187 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by filbrew

The problem that I had is with the airlock, if I try to do this again I will probably open the lid. Without getting a free flow of air it was struggling to equalize the pressure. It kinda did the 'glug-glug' thing, sucking in some less-than-sanitary water and stirring up a lot of sediment in the process. Likely I will just use my thief sampler like I used to.
What type of air lock do u have? 2 piece take center cap out and youll get no back draft. S lock just push down on lid to empty lock than open. You should b good. Cheers

Old 04-14-2013, 01:45 AM   #9
filbrew
Recipes 

Thanks, dirtybasementbrew, I've got both types of airlock. I tend to brew beers that are heavy on the sediment side, so I think I will just stick with my thief. The advantage of it, in my mind (and please correct my relatively inexperienced notions if my thinking is wrong) is that with the thief I'm sampling from the entire column, or close to, of the fermenting beer, giving a more representative sample. With the spigot, it just seemed like I was getting the sediment heavy bottom, which didn't seem to be that representative of the flavor of the beer, or for that matter the finishing gravity, though the difference for this particular beer was only 1.018 to 1.020.

Quick Reply