So I am on my 2nd batch and was going to bottle, but I think its not ready. According to a website I have been referencing (defalcos.com) my hydrometer should read at least 1.013 or below before bottling. I just took a reading and I am at 1.016 - 1.017 so I guess I need to wait longer to bottle. It has only been 7 days, which is how long I waited on my first batch, but now I am realizing that I need to wait longer. I am not using 2nd stage method until I get more batches under my belt.
I assume I am reading my hydrometer correctly. I see a 1000 mark and an 1100 mark. Between those marks are 10, 20, 30 , 40 etc. with ten hashmarks in between each number. I filled up a testing tube and dropped my hydrometer in and I see the line above 1000, and the 6th or 7th hashmark between 10 and 20. That means 1.016 - 1.017 an adding .001 for 7 degrees above 60F puts me solidly at 1.017, maybe even 1.018. Does that sound right?
I admit I don't really know my original specific gravity because I am fairly certain I read the hydrometer wrong.
I guess on the positive side I tasted small sample and it taste decent at this point.