Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Hydrometer Readings

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 05:58 PM   #31
dallasdb
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 17

This question in the "Beginners" forum just reached a whole new level!

Careful you are going to scare the newbies.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 06:17 PM   #32
dallasdb
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt-tastic View Post
I've never done a high gravity beer, which would take longer in the primary
This makes a big difference on how long to ferment and explains why you've never fermented past 10-14 days.

Quote:
I'm sorry. I forgot to mention I take reading daily after airlock activity stops. When I get 2 days back to back same readings, I know its ready to bottle.

Because, well, I understand chemistry.

But I take my previous statement back. I had a Kolsch in primary for 14 days, due to some dry hopping I did in the primary after gravity was reached. I don't currently use a secondary, and have never had issues with under fermented beer or "bottle bombs". I personally think letting beer sit for 3 weeks is prety useless advice myself, especially when most beers will have been done LONG before that.

Thats the great thing about brewing. its REALLY hard to do "wrong". If you follow the few basic rules, you're going to end up with beer. everything else is personal preference.

Also, the phrase you're looking for is "chock-full".
This, proves that you're an ass.

The question was posted in the "Beginner's" forum and some readers/responders don't even own a hydrometer or know why they should take readings.

Yes educating them is important. Giving them a general rule of thumb of 10-14 days in primary seemed a lot more beneficial than you just saying "I've never left a beer in primary longer than 10 days" without expanding and saying why or how to tell your beer is done, etc.

GFY

Old 11-16-2012, 07:03 PM   #33
stevedore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Boy this got confusing fast.

Current brewing pipeline: empty
Bottled: Rock Steady IPA, Hefeweizen
RIP: Everyday IPA, Coffee Stout
Future: BCBS clone?

Old 11-16-2012, 07:14 PM   #34
Doctor_Wily
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedore View Post
Resurrecting this thread as it's more appropriate than starting a new one- so... I should be taking hydrometer readings near the end of fermentation to make sure I get 2-3 consistent readings in a row before I bottle?

And of course, what is the issue with dropping the sanitized hydrometer directly into the wort? Is it going to interfere with getting an accurate reading or is it more of a sanitary issue?
Getting back to your specific questions, It's considered a best practice to check and make sure you get 2-3 consistent readings before bottling. Some people do it, some people don't.

As far as dropping right into the wort, some people some don't, it's a lot of personal preference (as is a lot of homebrewing in general). Do what works best for you.

Cheers!
Latium Talk- A site dedicated to discussion of Latium cryptocurrency. 5 free Latium coin with sign up!

~~Updated Jul 08 ~~

Old 11-16-2012, 09:04 PM   #35
matt-tastic
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdb View Post
This makes a big difference on how long to ferment and explains why you've never fermented past 10-14 days.

This, proves that you're an ass.

The question was posted in the "Beginner's" forum and some readers/responders don't even own a hydrometer or know why they should take readings.

Yes educating them is important. Giving them a general rule of thumb of 10-14 days in primary seemed a lot more beneficial than you just saying "I've never left a beer in primary longer than 10 days" without expanding and saying why or how to tell your beer is done, etc.

GFY
I'm sorry you think i'm an ass. I consider myself still a beginner, and was offering my opinion as an amateur brewer (like everyone else on this forum). I made a post and wasn't clear about it, and it seems like i've caused a kerfuffle.

Perhaps i should just agree with what everyone is posting rather than offer a contrary opinion.

What happened to RDWHAHB?

Old 11-16-2012, 09:25 PM   #36
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 502 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Quote:
I'm sorry you think i'm an ass. I consider myself still a beginner, and was offering my opinion as an amateur brewer (like everyone else on this forum). I made a post and wasn't clear about it, and it seems like i've caused a kerfuffle.

Perhaps i should just agree with what everyone is posting rather than offer a contrary opinion.

Pay him no mind, some people just don't get it and never will. If you don't ask questions you don't learn and part of learning is also trying to reply to others with what you've learned. You'll find you may not always be right but a lot of this is personal choice as I'm sure you're figuring out

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 11-16-2012, 09:28 PM   #37
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3686 Times on 2270 Posts
Likes Given: 3188

Quote:
RDWHAHB!

Old 11-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #38
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3686 Times on 2270 Posts
Likes Given: 3188

FYI, don't correct grammar or spelling unless you want retaliation. It's a forum given. No matter how much it bugs you, let it go. Irregardless.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:40 PM   #39
metanoia
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Quote:

I consider myself a beginner too, but that means that most of the advice I try to share on this forum doesn't come from my limited experience, but instead from the experience of more advanced brewers online, in books, and on podcasts. If you still consider yourself a beginner, I wouldn't argue about not letting the yeast clean up after primary fermentation when most of the advanced brewers here will tell you otherwise. If it works for you, great, but it's certainly not the advice you'll get from any knowledgeable source.
On Deck: 60 Bells IPA [11/22 brewday]
Thinking about racking to a secondary? Read this first.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:51 AM   #40
dallasdb
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt-tastic

I didn't think you were an ass until you decided correcting "chalk full" was a smart move!

I like answering the beginner's forum because I have 4 years of mistakes, learning, and getting better under my belt. However when people make smart ass comments in the beginners section when I'm trying to help it gets annoying.

Quick Reply