Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Hydrometer reading.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 10:46 PM   #1
Ster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Default Hydrometer reading.

The bubbler only bubbled for less than a day. Now 5 days since the boil, I am anxious to get a reading. Is it OK to take the lid off the bucket and get a reading, then re attach the lid? My plan was to get a drinking glass, spray with star san, and scoop out about a cup being careful to not touch the beer. Then put it in the hydrometer flask, test, and discard. Does this sound logical. BTW - No, I did not get an OG reading. Doh.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 10:57 PM   #2
Upthewazzu
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Get a thief, sanitize, and take a reading in either a beaker or the thief itself (if so equipped).

As for the timing, I'm curious about that myself. I popped the top on my ale after 3 days of zero air-lock activity to find that the gravity had dropped like a rock, so obviously it was fermenting but was leaking somewhere other than the air-lock. I haven't touched it since then (that was about 3 days ago).

Old 01-03-2013, 10:58 PM   #3
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 38

You could let it sit a few more days without harm, but what you're proposing should work. Make sure the glass is sanitized inside and out if your going to dip it in there. Later on, you can get a thief or use a sanitized turkey baster to draw your sample. Be sure your hydrometer reads 1.000 in distilled/soft water at the listed calibration temperature, usually in the 60-65 degree range depending on the device.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 01-03-2013, 10:59 PM   #4
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 305 Times on 256 Posts

A thief or turkey baster may be a better choice, but if a glass is all you have it should be ok. Do you have something to put the hydrometer in to take the measurement? The glass probably won't work.

Personally, I would wait longer to take the reading, but it is probably ok.

Also, taste the sample. It is good information regarding what green beers taste like.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:09 PM   #5
GASoline71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I'd leave it alone for another 10 days at least. Then take a reading. I just star-san my hydrometer and drop it straight in the bucket.

Gary

"Brewed Fresh from the North End of Puget Sound"

Old 01-03-2013, 11:53 PM   #6
brettamuss
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I'd leave it alone for another 10 days at least. Then take a reading. I just star-san my hydrometer and drop it straight in the bucket.

Gary
I just star san my hydrometer and drop it right in the bucket as well. I always wondered if this was ok! Lol it has always seemed to work fine for me. I tried a reading in a test tube and also in the bucket to make sure they were the same and they were! So i have been doing it ever since! Much easier!

Old 01-04-2013, 12:10 AM   #7
bobot
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 45

When I take a sample for a reading, I put it into the bong-looking tube that came with my hydrometer. After the reading, the beer gets poured into a "rocks" glass, which is filled pretty well. If you're going to dip a glass in your fermenter, this should be enough of a sample for you, but a turkey baster or wine thief will keep your fingers out of it. And yes, wait. 5 days isn't long enough.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:19 AM   #8
Ster
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Couldn't wait. 1.027. Book says it should start around 1.050. So good news. Hopefully this trend keeps up. Will give it several more days, possibly weeks.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:24 AM   #9
GASoline71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts

So you didn't take an SG? Not that big of a deal... I've forgot to do it on occasion myself. Just curious...

Gary

"Brewed Fresh from the North End of Puget Sound"

Old 01-04-2013, 02:34 AM   #10
Greyhound
Blackjack Brewing Co.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ster View Post
Couldn't wait. 1.027. Book says it should start around 1.050. So good news. Hopefully this trend keeps up. Will give it several more days, possibly weeks.
I'm concerned about your gravity. 1.027 sounds high for a 1.050 beer after 5 days. I'd expect you to be below 1.020 anyway. If your ambient temperature is below 68 degrees F at your fermenter, I'd move it to a warmer place and gently swirl the fermenter to rouse the yeast.

"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

"It is what it is." -Erich Fried

Quick Reply