Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Hydrometer Reading

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2012, 08:35 PM   #1
dash14251
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hydrometer Reading

so i went to actually use the temp conversion because my wort was like 76F when i pitched yeast. i read that the hydrometer measures the density of the wort, taking into account the dissolved solids like sugar. i was just thinking, would one's sg be thrown off if there were significant hops still floating around in the wort?

i use pellets and while boiling i toss them in to swim around wherever they want, no cheese cloths or whatever. i do pour through a filter into primary, but some hop bits still get through as the first rack to secondary reveals a good amount of hops in the bottom.

would these undissolved solids affect the hydro reading?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #2
homebrewdad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 320 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 227

SG measures what is dissolved in your solution. Spin your sample tube a few times to loosen the bubbles and and floating gunk... but no, hops shouldn't affect things.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply