Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Hydrometer reading

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2010, 06:11 PM   #1
ChandlerBang
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Hydrometer reading

uhhhhhh,

So how much liquid does everyone draw off to get a hydrometer reading? Doesn't that waste a lot if you check it everyday to find the 3 day floor?

Can someone walk me through this like a kid?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2010, 06:24 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You really don't need to check everyday if you are lookig for your 3 day window, you only need 2 readings, 3 days apart and you don't even need to begin doing that til 10 days after your yeast pitch.

And if you are opting for a long primary like the month long one many of us do, skipping secondary altogether, you really don't need to take any, though I generally take 2, one on yeast pitching day, and one on bottling day.

That's my average hydrometer usage for normal beers. If I secondaried, I would wait tile day 12 and take a reading then again on day 14, but often I will just take one on day 14 and if it is my target gravity range that my recipe states, then I am fine with one reading and rack it.

And as to how....and how much. You take as much as you need to fill your sample vessel which is just a few ounces, which you drink after.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-01-2010, 06:29 PM   #3
jdlev
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Bobby M one of your buddies?

Old 11-01-2010, 06:35 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlev View Post
Bobby M one of your buddies?
No, not really....I've never met him, but he's one of members here, and does some really good videos, and this one was tailored for the beginning homebrewer. He does a great job.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-01-2010, 06:56 PM   #5
92greenyj
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I only take three Hydro readings thru my entire process for one batch of beer.
1. Pre Boil Gravity (to calculate my efficiency. only been doing this since I started using Beer Alchemy)
2. O.G./S.G. (Once wort is cooled. Prior to pitching my yeast)
3. F.G./T.G. (Prior to kegging so I can determine A.B.V.)

F.G. is taken usually after 2 weeks. I usually do a 1 week primary and a 1 week secondary

In Primary:

In Secondary:

On Tap:
Shiner Mock (Shiner Bock Clone)
Highlanders Glory (Strong Scottish Ale)
Krawler Kolsch
Peachy Keen (Peach Ale)
Venemous Vanilla Porter
Zen Kolsch (Green Tea Honey Kolsch)
Slam Dunkel (Dunkelweizen)
Milky Stout (Sweet/Milk Stout)

Bottled: