Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Hydrometer question
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2012, 06:17 AM   #1
wormraper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 509
Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Hydrometer question

ok guys, I got a new hydrometer in the mail today from Ohio Brew stores. same as the one you get from NB. tested my saison that used 565 after 2 weeks in the fermenter and it reads at 1.001 (which is some DAMN whicked attenuation). however I checked it in tap water and it checks water as .995.. with it being off .005 are my readings totally fubar'd or do I just adjust up .005 points when I take my FG readings.

__________________
wormraper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2012, 06:22 AM   #2
CBXBob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CBXBob's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Grants Pass/ Nuevo, Or. / Ca.
Posts: 453
Liked 88 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 177

Default

Temperature corrected?

__________________
CBXBob is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2012, 06:23 AM   #3
Brak23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 174
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

1) Tap water (as far as I know) isn't "pure water" therefore, won't have exactly a 1.0000 reading

2) a Hydrometer is calibrated for either 61 or 68 degrees F, You need to adjust the readings to account for your temperature (there are handy calculators on the web for this)

__________________
Brak23 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2012, 06:28 AM   #4
wormraper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 509
Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brak23 View Post
1) Tap water (as far as I know) isn't "pure water" therefore, won't have exactly a 1.0000 reading

2) a Hydrometer is calibrated for either 61 or 68 degrees F, You need to adjust the readings to account for your temperature (there are handy calculators on the web for this)
ok, gotcha, was just wondering becaue my last hydrometer that broke measured exactly 1.000 in the same tap water. as for temp correction. have no way to do that just yet since my thermometer got busted in the same accident that killed my hydrometer. I just wanted to make sure that the .005 difference wouldn't completely make all numbers invalid (basically telling me 1.001 for final grav and it really being 1.035 or something crazy). I'm assuming that if it reads 1.001 again in a few days I can bottle the saison without fear.

however, on a side note. I'm honestly shocked that after 2 weeks WLP 565 saison yeast attenuated that well. no stalling whatsoever. even if I bump up my FG is around 1.006 I didn't hit the 1.030 stall point
__________________
wormraper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2012, 04:35 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
unionrdr's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Sheffield, Ohio
Posts: 31,023
Liked 2270 Times on 1976 Posts
Likes Given: 1703

Default

The reading should be 1.000 @66F. Purity of tap water isn't an issue with gravity,so it should read 1 flat.
__________________
Everything works if ya let it-Roady(meatloaf)
NEW, REVISED EDITION of book one of Time Lords 2034 series now on Amazon Kindle! http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NTA0L6G
My homebrewing book "Tippy Tippy Tappy" on Kindle! http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PBAP6JO
unionrdr is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2012, 09:46 PM   #6
Calder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,902
Liked 307 Times on 273 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
The reading should be 1.000 @66F. Purity of tap water isn't an issue with gravity,so it should read 1 flat.
I'm not going to check the instructions with my hydrometer, but I am pretty sure all of them are calibrated to 1.000 in 59 F water.

If the temperature is higher, the reading will be lower. .005 error (reading low) would be +40 degrees, or 100F.


To the OP. Tap water is not necessarily pure, and might come in somewhere between .999 and 1.001. If you do confirm the hydrometer is reading .005 low, all you need to do is add .005 to all your readings.

If the hydrometer does not read correctly, then something has shifted. I would be concerned that it could shift again sometime.
__________________
Calder is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2012, 02:48 AM   #7
wormraper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 509
Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder View Post
I'm not going to check the instructions with my hydrometer, but I am pretty sure all of them are calibrated to 1.000 in 59 F water.

If the temperature is higher, the reading will be lower. .005 error (reading low) would be +40 degrees, or 100F.


To the OP. Tap water is not necessarily pure, and might come in somewhere between .999 and 1.001. If you do confirm the hydrometer is reading .005 low, all you need to do is add .005 to all your readings.

If the hydrometer does not read correctly, then something has shifted. I would be concerned that it could shift again sometime.
I'll check the temp of the water to be sure when I get my thermometer, but I doubt it's over 75 degree water coming out of the tap. I got it from amazon so I'll probably have to just ask for a replacement from the seller
__________________
wormraper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hydrometer question ferg1371 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 06-09-2012 12:48 AM
hydrometer question Dave6187 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 8 07-08-2009 07:48 PM
hydrometer question phatuna Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 03-16-2009 08:24 PM
Hydrometer question coopd3ville Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 10-01-2007 07:53 PM
Another Hydrometer Question... RiversC174 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 8 02-27-2006 05:00 AM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS