Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Hydrometer + carboy - Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2012, 04:31 PM   #1
wkethman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hydrometer + carboy - Question

I currently have a batch in a carboy that has been fermenting for 9 days and in a few more I would like to measure the specific gravity. I am curious if anyone has a creative method other than siphoning a sample to a graduated cylinder? Would it be ok for me to sanitize the hydrometer and place inside carboy at day 14? I would leave it in until transfer to bottling bucket and then fill the carboy with water to make it float to top and retrieve. Would this in anyway compromise the integrity of the batch if properly cleaned and sanitized?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2012, 04:43 PM   #2
Lucky_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

wouldn't compromise the batch if it was properly sanitized but you wont be able to get a reading, bubbles will form on the hydrometer giving varying readings. Best way to get a sample is with a sanitized "thief"

Old 01-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
brtisbuck
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsims21 View Post
wouldn't compromise the batch if it was properly sanitized but you wont be able to get a reading, bubbles will form on the hydrometer giving varying readings. Best way to get a sample is with a sanitized "thief"
+1 (if you have a turkey baster, sanitize and use that)

Also, hydrometers can break at what seems like anytime for no reason. If it does in primary the entire batch is shot.

Quick Reply