Hydrometer + carboy - Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wkethman

Reaction score
I currently have a batch in a carboy that has been fermenting for 9 days and in a few more I would like to measure the specific gravity. I am curious if anyone has a creative method other than siphoning a sample to a graduated cylinder? Would it be ok for me to sanitize the hydrometer and place inside carboy at day 14? I would leave it in until transfer to bottling bucket and then fill the carboy with water to make it float to top and retrieve. Would this in anyway compromise the integrity of the batch if properly cleaned and sanitized?

wouldn't compromise the batch if it was properly sanitized but you wont be able to get a reading, bubbles will form on the hydrometer giving varying readings. Best way to get a sample is with a sanitized "thief"

wouldn't compromise the batch if it was properly sanitized but you wont be able to get a reading, bubbles will form on the hydrometer giving varying readings. Best way to get a sample is with a sanitized "thief"

+1 (if you have a turkey baster, sanitize and use that)

Also, hydrometers can break at what seems like anytime for no reason. If it does in primary the entire batch is shot.

Back