hydrometer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dilligas

Reaction score
When do I take a sample and use the hydrometer? I have been reading and do not understand if I should get a reading before I pitch the yeast, or what?Britten

Take a sample after the wort has cooled and before you pitch the yeast. Be sure to adjust the reading for the temperature.

I take them at the beginning, before pitching the yeast (this is the OG- the original gravity), then before racking. If I'm making wine, I check to see when it's ready for secondary, usually after about 5 days. If I'm making beer, I just check it at the beginning and again when I think it's about done. If the SG stays the same at the end (or is where I expect it to be), then I know it's done.

After you put the wort in your fermenter and top it up with water to 5 gallons, mix it thoroughly and check the temperature. At this point, take your first gravity reading. If your temperature is above 60* F, make sure you correct your reading for your temp, then pitch your yeast and attach the airlock. After 5-7 days have elapsed, take a series of readings over 2-3 days to make sure fermentation is complete. This will also give you the ability to determine the alcohol level of your beer.

I have pitched the yeast at 80, and have a chiller bringing it down to that temp. A holiday ale it says. I got my kit and this blend and a Irish Stout came with it. The Stout was what I am bottling this week. The holiday blend is:
9lbs Amber Malt Extract
2lbs Amber DME
4oz Special B roasted Barley
1lb Caravienne
1lb Caramel pils
2oz Fuggle hops
2oz Mount hood hops
1pkg Windsor yeast
3/4c corn sugar

Back