Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Hydrometer 1.020. Is it ready?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2014, 12:08 AM   #1
DxS12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default Hydrometer 1.020. Is it ready?

Hi Homebrewers,

So I've been working on my first batch of Irish Red Ale. It's my first time brewing and I've already learned a ton just hanging out on these forums. So, as a newb, I didn't have a hydrometer on hand to take a reading when I brewed my first batch. I'm now 11 days into the brew and the hydrometer reads 1.020. It's still in the primary (not moving it to secondary). This is my first reading, so I plan to come back in a day or two and get a second reading.

What are your thoughts? Is this thing ready to bottle? What reading should I be looking for and how much does it matter?

I appreciate your help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2014, 12:12 AM   #2
IvanTheTerribrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 45 Posts

Hey there, what was your fermentation temp like? Honestly as long as it isn't lower than 65* I'd say if in 2 days it's still at 1020 it's probably done. Id bottle it. That's probably still a little higher than it was suppose to be but that happens sometimes it just means it will be a little fuller and sweeter than it meant to. Or it's right where it was suppose to be. Either way it will be beer! Cheers!

- ISM NRP

Old 03-27-2014, 12:18 AM   #3
stevehardt
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 23

what was your OG? I'd make real sure your current gravity readings stay at 1.02 over at least a couple of straight days before I bottle. She might not be done after 11 days

Old 03-27-2014, 12:23 AM   #4
DxS12
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the advice! The brewing temps have been fluctuating. The weather has been crazy here in NY. I've been keeping it near an electric heater, but it's been between 58-68 range. I've purchased some equipment to stabilize the fermenting temps on my next batch, but this one is up to the gods.

The yeast I've been using has an optimum temp of 57-70, so hopefully I didn't kill them all off.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:23 AM   #5
Mad4sax
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Take a reading Friday night or Saturday. If the same it should be done.
Recipe??

Untappd: mad4sax

Old 03-27-2014, 12:25 AM   #6
DxS12
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Generic Northern Brewer recipe for my first batch: http://www.northernbrewer.com/docume...rishRedAle.pdf

Old 03-27-2014, 12:28 AM   #7
pennyloaf
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

So I went through the exact same thing just a few days ago (Irish Red, 1.02 FG). I raised the fermentation temp for a week and it didnt budge (3 weeks in primairy).

Anyways, I bottled and tasted - it tasted a little sweet and just OK.

I wanted a beer 3 days later so I grabbed one of the small flip top bottles I used as carb testers. It was not near carbonated but the bit of CO2 in there balanced pretty well. It was not highly alcoholic (was drinking cider before so couldnt judge exactly based on effect) It had a lot of body and was a pretty good brew (would of been better if I added some dextrose to boost the alcohol I think)

I would say you can do 2 things: if you get the same reading a bottle a (probably full bodied) low alcohol red that you can drink more of in a sitting or dump in some sugar to bump up the ABV and let it ferment out for another week for a similar beer with more kick.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:32 AM   #8
MikePote
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Check it in two days not one, let it have some time to do its thing. Patience is key as I have learned the had way many times. I would imagine it is not quite done yet but who knows. If you post the recipe you will probably be able to get a real close estimate to final gravity from somebody here. A couple of things that jump into my head that may cause your numbers to be high would be if the fermenting beer got below 60 or so it could have shut the yeast down. If that happened let the beer warm up to room temp and give the fermenter a little rock to stir up some yeast. I have had this happen. Also if it was an all grain batch and you mashed a little higher than you were supposed to it could lead to a higher FG. The best part about home brewing is that if you did screw it up you still made beer. You really cant lose.

If Im on homebrewtalk im probably drunk... Don't pretend your not.

DxS12 Likes This 
Old 03-27-2014, 12:34 AM   #9
MikePote
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You had 7 responses in 24 minutes. That is why I love this forum. Two responses were written while I was typing my response above. Thank you everybody on OP behalf as well as mine!

If Im on homebrewtalk im probably drunk... Don't pretend your not.

DxS12 Likes This 
Old 03-27-2014, 12:37 AM   #10
DxS12
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Would adding sugar at this point bump up the abv?

Quick Reply