Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Husband wants Mr. Beer for Father's Day, BUT...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2011, 12:54 AM   #1
justgettingstarted
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Husband wants Mr. Beer for Father's Day, BUT...

Since I've read so many mixed reviews on here, can anyone give any recommendations for better beginner's brewing kits? Though I'm sure he'll get addicted the first go around, I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for a kit in case he doesn't. (Preferably $150 or less, though I'm not sure if I'm being ignorant )

I know this has been asked before, but the latest one I was able to find was from 7 months ago, so I figured I would ask again in case any new kits have come out since then

Thanks everyone!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2011, 01:00 AM   #2
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

They are all a gateway to bigger and better things. It's just a matter of where you want to start out. Mr Beer is cheap. Brewer's Best have some kits that start you off quite well. http://www.brewersbestkits.com/pdf/B...t%20101028.pdf

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 06-04-2011, 01:03 AM   #3
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I'm not saying Mr Beer is bad though. It's where I started.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 06-04-2011, 01:10 AM   #4
Wakadaka
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I would say do him a favor and start with a full kit. And it shouldn't be bad for under 150. Get a basic kit, and a cheap pot, and he is good to go for a long time. I recommend checking out dollar general for a pot. I found a 5 gallon one for $12.

As far as starter kits go I can't help you too much. I just bought mine on an impulse from a local kitchen store, and I know I could have gotten something much cheaper if I had searched around. If you have a local home brew shop near by you might consider going in and talking to them about a good starter set. Just try not to let them sell you too much stuff. All he really will need is a fermenter, a bottling bucket and some siphon hosing to get going.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:10 AM   #5
DEWSBREW
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I started with the coopers kit--- makebeer.net. I feel you get more bang for your buck. But I did see that they have changed the fermentor so I dont know about the new set up. But I am really happy with the old fermenter--right now they have a discount on the site.

Hope this helps

Old 06-04-2011, 01:12 AM   #6
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Try Midwest Supplies. They have a great starter kit that gives you all you need and more, plus an ingredient kit to start brewing right away. It's in your price range.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:16 AM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4451 Times on 3240 Posts
Likes Given: 866

To make a decent (drinkable) beer, I'd recommend a solid "kit" and stay away from gimmicks like the Coopers (just not good quality all around) and Mr. Beer. I'd start with a basic equipment kit from a well-known internet homebrew store, like northernbrewer.com or austinhomebrew.com. Then I'd add an extract recipe kit, to make a batch of beer. They have many kinds and styles, from cream ales to bocks, and austinhomebrew.com has many extract "clone kits" where you can make a beer very much like your favorite beer. I've done their Pete's Wicked Ale, Fat Tire, and a few others that I can't remember right now. They also have great instructions, so you can't screw it up, and it makes really good beer on the first try!

Old 06-04-2011, 01:16 AM   #8
viking73
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Now that you're getting him started, start thinking about where you will place the kegerator or keezer!

Old 06-04-2011, 01:18 AM   #9
cincybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I started with Mr. Beer kit....I'd recommend the full kit to make extract. It's well worth it.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:21 AM   #10
Pete762
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjeepin View Post
They are all a gateway to bigger and better things. It's just a matter of where you want to start out. Mr Beer is cheap. Brewer's Best have some kits that start you off quite well. http://www.brewersbestkits.com/pdf/B...t%20101028.pdf
Tell me about it, i started with a Mr. Beer kit and now, 3 years later i basically have a RIMS system.

However, after using the Mr. Beer kit, i quickly realized that you get way better results from an actual starter kit. I think i paid $150 for mine and that included a 5 gallon steel pot, 6 gal plastic bucket, carbouy, thermometer, hydrometer and bottle capper. Thats all ya need.

Quick Reply