The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > hows this for a starter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2008, 05:46 PM   #1
nosmatt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default hows this for a starter?

i poured about 11 of my homebrews over the last couple days (okay, started friday night with about 8).

poured all but about the last once, shook/swirled and poured into a sanitized juice container (ocean spray plastic) then i added 2 cups of boiled/cooled water, with 2 tbs of corn sugar (all i had!) then last night added three or four more bottles worth of sediment to it.
the lid was only tightened when i shook, then i cracked it enough to hear a psst sound.

the years was wlp001

i added a mr beer yeast packet added to a cup of boiling water and cooled to kill that yeast, but get the nutrient into the bottle about 30 mins ago.

would this be sufficient time to use today, in about ~ 2-3 hours from now, or should i pitch the muntuns 6 gram pack i have instead/in addition to??

cannot tell if it has krausen, as i shake it from time to time, and it has a foam layer on top, also has sediment on the bottom.

thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2008, 06:06 PM   #2
TeleTwanger
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I dunno, corn sugar doesn't make a good medium for yeast growth, most people recommend againts it. I would just properly hydrate the dry yeast you have and use that.

Up next: The Bestist Bitter
Bottled: Blackout IPA

"Ooo Pretzels and Bier!"-Heidi Klum

Old 11-16-2008, 06:16 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeleTwanger View Post
I dunno, corn sugar doesn't make a good medium for yeast growth, most people recommend againts it. I would just properly hydrate the dry yeast you have and use that.
I agree. You'll have yeast that are accustomed to corn sugar- first from priming, then from the so-called starter. I would dump that and use a package of dry yeast.

If you want to use a starter next time with some liquid yeast, you can do that easily by boiling 2 cups of water with 1/2 cup of dry extract, cool it and the put the yeast into it and then just cover the container with some sanitized foil.

I like wlp001 a lot, and always keep some washed yeast of that strain around in the fridge. (See the thread on yeast washing- it's great!). Then, I just make a starter about 2 days before brewing.

I think 2 TBSP of corn sugar to make a yeast starter is not a good idea.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:26 PM   #4
nosmatt
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thanks for the input folks.

my thinking was.........

if bottle carbing with corn sugar, then harvesting the yeast from bottles, whats the difference?

i ended up using both. made a starter for the muntuns with some lme, and added some lme to my other starter and pitched em both.
wish me luck!

lme was sanitized btw...

Old 11-16-2008, 11:39 PM   #5
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 4

[quote=nosmatt;958395]thanks for the input folks.

my thinking was.........

if bottle carbing with corn sugar, then harvesting the yeast from bottles, whats the difference?
quote]

The difference is with the amount you use. When carb'ing a brew you don't use much sugar, but getting a starter up to a good gravity would use much more and like was said it isn't a good idea to have it used to fermenting simple sugar. When it comes time to ferment more complex sugars like those in wort it won't be up to the job.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Quick Reply