How's this pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Id say yeah, it will work... but will your stove top have the oomph (that is a technical term) to boil it?

That might be a bit large for the average home stove, but it you have gas burners I've heard of people spanning two burners with large pots. You could also possibly damage your stove top with all the weight if you are trying to do a big batch, but that's probably unlikely. Just be cautious on your first test run, watch for scorching the stove top, too.

As far as the possibilities of aluminum being bad for your beer, just don't use a caustic cleaner on it so that you don't remove the oxidation layer that will form after the first use that will keep any more aluminum from leeching into the beer. This is a very, VERY over-rated danger, it won't hurt you.

Looks good but for aluminum that is kind of high... I would continue looking. Also, is your stove electric or gas? We just bought our house and it has a gas wirlpool stove with the "power burner" option, and it took close to friggin 40 min to bring 4 gallons to a boil. If you are going to be doing full boils, I would also invest in a propane burner. Tell the wife (if married) that you dont want to stink up the house, and that your only thinking of her. For the record, that line has about a 23.33% chance of working, unfortunatly my wife was not in that percentage. I still put in a bid for one today on ebay! :rockin:

The stove is electric and I'm not sure that line would work on my wife but hell, it's worth a shot. Care to point me in the direction of a good propane burner that won't break the bank?

Look to any Hispanic markets for a Tamale pot. Better deal, especially for someone who wants to steep or use a bag. They come with a removable tray that sits an inch or two off the bottom.

This pot is aluminum, so it might not be as good a deal as you originally thought, but I still think it's a great deal. :mug:

For around here that is a great deal... at 65,000 BTU burner? good deal, I may pick one up to. The burner for the summer and the pot for now!

Look to any Hispanic markets for a Tamale pot. Better deal, especially for someone who wants to steep or use a bag. They come with a removable tray that sits an inch or two off the bottom.

I looked at Tomale pots and thought they were too light. They do well for a full boil? If so, I'm getting one cause they're cheap as hell.

I'm not sure how good a deal $52 is for a 10 gallon pot.

I'm going to pick this up, a 7.5 gallon pot and propane cooker for $50:
Canadian Tire
The difference is that the pot listed by the OP has a .157 thick wall. Your average turkey fryer pot is about .031 thick.

$52 in not too bad a price for a heavy duty 10 gallon aluminum pot.

I looked at Tomale pots and thought they were too light. They do well for a full boil? If so, I'm getting one cause they're cheap as hell.

Like any product, there are many different offerings. I found some that were more than "good enough" and some that were light. I thought the ones here at Walmart were probably only good for heating water.

Canadian Tire is sold out of them around here. They aren't expecting any in in the near future. If you are able to find one let me know.

Like any product, there are many different offerings. I found some that were more than "good enough" and some that were light. I thought the ones here at Walmart were probably only good for heating water.

Ahh! I see. I found them cheap at target so you're probably right. Picking it up, I would just imagine the heat loss would be to great. And I'm impatient. :D

Ahh! I see. I found them cheap at target so you're probably right. Picking it up, I would just imagine the heat loss would be to great. And I'm impatient. :D

Ok, I actually went into WalMart this afternoon and the brushed aluminum pots thye had would be fine.... the shiny ones I think were a little light. 32 quarts was like 21 bucks. Still, I'd recommend a 40 qt pot if I was doing 5 gallon batches. Those boil overs are crazy!

That looks like a good deal on the afore mentioned 40 quart. Can you mod aluminum pots with a ball lock or can you only do this with stainless?

Back