Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Hows it look

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2012, 01:50 AM   #21
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1078 Times on 785 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Not to rain on the parade, but that's gonna be one sticky brew, my friend. Dark extract has specialty grains in it like caramel and chocolate malt, so really no need for the extra caramel and carapils (especially the accidental extra carapils). Add the malto dex on top of that and you may end up with a pretty high FG. The simple sugar may help a bit, but I'm guessing it'll be a struggle to get it down near your target OG, anything under 1.02 with a malt bill like that would be surprising. And lastly, the main flaw I see other than what I mentioned is your choice of yeast. Read up around here, you'll see that Munton's isn't really regarded as a quality yeast.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2012, 02:42 AM   #22
CliffMongoloid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 457 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordeastBrewer77 View Post
Not to rain on the parade, but that's gonna be one sticky brew, my friend. Dark extract has specialty grains in it like caramel and chocolate malt, so really no need for the extra caramel and carapils (especially the accidental extra carapils). Add the malto dex on top of that and you may end up with a pretty high FG. The simple sugar may help a bit, but I'm guessing it'll be a struggle to get it down near your target OG, anything under 1.02 with a malt bill like that would be surprising. And lastly, the main flaw I see other than what I mentioned is your choice of yeast. Read up around here, you'll see that Munton's isn't really regarded as a quality yeast.
Thanks for the input... its an experiment... if its good great... if not oh well....ill learn from what went wrong and get better... ill keep an eye on the gravity and ill see if i can get it down a bit... i understand muntons is not regarded as a high quality yeast but i figured i had a few extra packs and a bunch of extra ingredients around so itll be a good test for myself to see why so many people dont like muntons... any suggestions at this point or should i just let er go?

Old 05-30-2012, 03:25 AM   #23
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1078 Times on 785 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

I'd let 'er ride. Keep it cool and it should limit what the yeast imparts. And I've brewed beers before with way to much caramel, and had them ferment well, albeit the caramel flavor was a bit much. What happened was I had a recipe that needed ~2#'s of light Munich, in the grain room at Midwest I asked my wife (who's an amazing brewer/winemaker, FWIW) to grab me some light Munich. She grabbed light CaraMunich and before we figured out the mistake the grains were bagged, tagged and sold. DOH! We let it ride, figured it to be an amber instead of the extra pale ale I'd intended. Long story not so long, it fermented down to ~1.013, which surprised me, and was pretty tasty, but a bit too sweet and the caramel flavor was a bit intense. So yeah, let it ride, could be an amazing beer.

If you want a great place to start with recipe formulation, i highly recommend JZ's and John Palmer's book, "Brewing Classic Styles". They give some great tips in there, and there's an extract recipe for every style of beer out there. Every one I've brewed has been a huge hit, and the knowledge I gained about how to create a beer recipe is invaluable.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:42 AM   #24
CliffMongoloid
Recipes 

Thanks man... ill mist let it ride... ill def pick up that book too

Old 06-14-2012, 01:07 AM   #25
CliffMongoloid
Recipes 

racked to secondary tonight.... gravity is at 1.014, snuck a taste and its not to bad... alot of chocolate notes

Old 06-18-2012, 01:54 AM   #26
CliffMongoloid
Recipes 

would cold crashing this be a bad idea?

Old 06-19-2012, 11:56 AM   #27
CliffMongoloid