Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Hows it look

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2012, 04:10 PM   #11
CliffMongoloid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 429 Times on 323 Posts
Likes Given: 109

expected FG is 1.016

thanks for the input and knowledge my friend. I may just brew this to see what i end up with?

would you recommend a blow off?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2012, 04:11 PM   #12
CliffMongoloid
Recipes 

also is muntons a good yeast to use?

should i do a starter since the OG is expected to be 1.060?

Old 05-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #13
fastenova
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Yeah, I'd say just brew it. Every single recipe I've came up with myself (from scratch or modified another recipe) came out good - I completely pulled a hop schedule out of thin air with hops I had in my freezer for my first IPA and it was better than any IPA I've ever had, for example - and know that no matter what, even if it doesn't match a style or exactly what you had in mind, it'll still be beer, and probably a darn good one too.

As far as the yeast goes, for whatever reason I've only used dry yeast when I brew mead. I've used liquid yeast for all my beer (Wyeast or White Labs) or harvested and repitched it. Never used a starter, and it always attenuated just fine. It takes a little longer to get started without a starter, sure, but as long as you're under 1.080 or so I'd say you don't NEED a starter for the yeast to be totally healthy and I try to keep things as simple as I can. =]

Also, dry yeast is less likely to need a starter than liquid yeast, but I'd rehydrate it separately if you hadn't already planned on it per the package instructions. Some people pitch dry yeast straight into the wort, though, without problems.

I always use a blow off unless both of mine are already in use. If you have it laying around, why use an airlock? Having said that, I just did a CDA with a 1.084 OG and I didn't have my blow off available when I pitched the yeast, and I was lazy and never swapped out the airlock, and it was fine. It had a pretty vigorous initial fermentation that got up to the lid of my 6.5 gallon fermenter (5.5g batch) but didn't make it through the bung. I just use a regular #6.5 stopper and small tubing going into a prego jar I set on top of my bucket. Never had an issue with it overflowing.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:25 PM   #14
CliffMongoloid
Recipes 

Thanks you def gave me some confidence to try this one. Will be brewing this one in about a week... maybe next wednesday

I was planning on re hydrating as normal... should i do one or 2 packs? cause i do have an extra one

Old 05-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #15
fastenova
Recipes 

Haha, sure, I use a simple test when determining whether it will be beer or not: Does it have malt? Does it have hops? Did some hungry yeasties go to town and make it bubble away? If yes, then it's beer!

That does not mean all beers are created equal, but time heals (most) all beers (if they're not excellent right out of the fermenter), and worst case it'll be better than BMC swill. Chances are that a friend/family/stranger will LOVE it and declare it the best beer you've ever made.

I'd just use one pack of yeast and save that as a backup or for your next batch.

As Chuck would say, RDWHAHB!

Old 05-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #16
CliffMongoloid
Recipes 

Sounds good man thanks

Ill keep you posted

Old 05-21-2012, 10:01 PM   #17
fastenova
Recipes 

How did this go, anyway? Did you brew it?

Old 05-22-2012, 02:19 AM   #18
CliffMongoloid
Recipes 

Not yet... I was gonna but a friend of mine is coming home this weekend and I'm gonna show him how to brew... well as best I can haha.... but ill take some pics and let ya know

Old 05-29-2012, 12:49 AM   #19
CliffMongoloid
Recipes 

Its brewed.... me and a buddy brewed her up today and also bottled my summer ale....

BUT.... i messed up... not a huge mess up but i added 12 ounces of carapils instead of 6.... whoops oh well bet she'll have some nice head....

Thats what she said

Old 05-29-2012, 11:24 PM   #20
CliffMongoloid
Recipes 

update...

Some serious fermentation is going on... about 4 bubbles every 3 seconds... and its moving around like serious in the carboy.... its goin cray.... may have to switch to a blow off

Quick Reply