Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Hows it look

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #1
CliffMongoloid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 425 Times on 319 Posts
Likes Given: 107

Default Hows it look

im look through left over supplies and random things i have on hand. I wanna try to do a baltic porter. Just threw this recipe together quick to see what you think. Any input is appreciated

3.3lbs Dark Malt Extract Syrup
2lbs Dark Dry Malt Extract
12oz American Crystal 40L
12oz Turbinado sugar
8oz Malto-Dextrin
6oz Chocolate Malt
6oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine

60 mins 1oz First Gold
Yeast- Muntons Dry Yeast

OG- 1.060
FG- 1.016
IBUS- 26
ABV 5.9

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
homebrewhaha
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Just a guess but this might end up pretty dark. Might want to look at your SRM. I guess it's a porter so that's okay, but it seems like there's a general consensus around here that it's better to start with lighter extracts and use specialty malts, etc. to then bring the beer up to where you want it in terms of color & flavor. This method gives you a lot more control since you don't really know what goes into the LME and DME that you might be doubling up in your specialty grains.

Then again, if you already have the dark extracts on hand and are trying to use them up...I guess that's a different story.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #3
CliffMongoloid
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewhaha View Post
Just a guess but this might end up pretty dark. Might want to look at your SRM. I guess it's a porter so that's okay, but it seems like there's a general consensus around here that it's better to start with lighter extracts and use specialty malts, etc. to then bring the beer up to where you want it in terms of color & flavor. This method gives you a lot more control since you don't really know what goes into the LME and DME that you might be doubling up in your specialty grains.

Then again, if you already have the dark extracts on hand and are trying to use them up...I guess that's a different story.
Yea i kinda wanna use this stuff up and do a little bit of experimenting while im at it. It says the SRMs will be around 25... Dark Brown color... I was just seeing if there would be any issues with the ingredients i listed

Thanks for the input tho

Old 05-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
CliffMongoloid
Recipes 

I was also wondering if anyone had any thoughts on how it would turn out

Old 05-11-2012, 03:08 PM   #5
CliffMongoloid
Recipes 

no input?

Old 05-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #6
fastenova
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Sounds like good beer! I love Baltic porters. Why are you using the raw sugar, just to increase OG/ABV? Despite what some people say about using darker extracts, I have like every single beer I've done with dark LME. You certainly can get more control over the color with light LME and specialty malts, but I tend to care less about the shade and more about the taste, and dark extracts have always made full flavored beers when used with specialty grains.

I say, brew away, and let us know how it comes out!

Old 05-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #7
CliffMongoloid
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastenova View Post
Sounds like good beer! I love Baltic porters. Why are you using the raw sugar, just to increase OG/ABV? Despite what some people say about using darker extracts, I have like every single beer I've done with dark LME. You certainly can get more control over the color with light LME and specialty malts, but I tend to care less about the shade and more about the taste, and dark extracts have always made full flavored beers when used with specialty grains.

I say, brew away, and let us know how it comes out!
Yea i wanted to get it a bit higher but i could easily leave that out... would you suggest brewing it without the torbindao?

Old 05-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #8
fastenova
Recipes 

It would lighten up the body quite a bit, as it's about 15% of your fermentables... It seems like most Baltic porters that I've had that I can remember weren't especially light.

But you're also adding a large amount of maltodextrin and carapils - they'll add body to your brew. It is probably more than enough to offset the sugar. And, if you're just trying to get the ABV up to appropriate levels, and don't want to go pick up more extract, then you should go for it!

Have you used that much MD/carapils before in recipes? Seems like a little much but I don't have much experience with it, I think I've only used about 8 oz. of Carapils by itself before.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:55 PM   #9
CliffMongoloid
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastenova View Post
It would lighten up the body quite a bit, as it's about 15% of your fermentables... It seems like most Baltic porters that I've had that I can remember weren't especially light.

But you're also adding a large amount of maltodextrin and carapils - they'll add body to your brew. It is probably more than enough to offset the sugar. And, if you're just trying to get the ABV up to appropriate levels, and don't want to go pick up more extract, then you should go for it!

Have you used that much MD/carapils before in recipes? Seems like a little much but I don't have much experience with it, I think I've only used about 8 oz. of Carapils by itself before.
The most i have used is 6oz of carapils.... Malto dextrin and carapils do the same thing? (head retention) hmm i may want to rethink this

Old 05-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #10
fastenova
Recipes 

Well the maltodextrin is very unfermentable, so it will add body. The Carapils will add some body, and like you said, head retention.

I'd say vary the Maltodextrin for how much body/mouthfeel you personally like, I think 4-8 oz is fine as a range, especially if you're using sugar as well since that will reduce body. But also be aware that using all dark extract will also increase body a bit. I wouldn't be surprised if your FG ends up a little higher because of the unfermentables.

Quick Reply