Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How would you classify my beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2009, 08:47 PM   #1
Agtronic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Default How would you classify my beer?

Hey guys,

I'm 2 weeks into brewing an ale recipe that was randomly put together. I'm just wondering what style name you would give it?

It is the first time I brew a beer without using sugar, and also the first time I add my own hops. The anticipation is killing me!

This is what I did :

- 1 can Cooper's "Dark Ale" hopped LME
- 2.2 lbs. Extra Pale DME
- 1.1 lbs. Amber DME
- 1.5 oz. of US Saaz Pellets
- 1 pack Cooper's Ale Yeast (dry)

Brought 20 litres of water to a boil, mixed in the LME and DME and once it was boiling again, I added the hops for 15 minutes. I then cooled the wort in the bath tub and poured it into a plastic fermenting bucket. I topped it off to 23L. It is fermenting at ~21-22°C (69-71°F).

After 12 hours the airlock was bubbling intensly. Bubbles every 2 seconds. It's been doing this for 48 hours now, and it smells amazing.

Once again, I only remembered to take a SG reading after I pitched the yeast, and it was 1.040. I thought it would be higher considering how much DME I put in, but maybe the yeast (and its hydrating water) affected the reading? Or maybe because I forgot to mix it after I topped it off ...

Let me know your thoughts ... I'm wondering what I should call it when telling friends what they are drinking.

Thanks!

Markku | Agtronic Motorsport | DIY STC-1000 temp controller

Next brew: Error 554 - IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2009, 08:56 PM   #2
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

I think you brewed one between the lines, there, so you just might get to name yourself a new style. The first thing I can think of are some of the hoppier Czech dark beers, but those are mostly lagers. You certainly have an ale on your hands, so it could come out as something of a brown ale with a noble (Saaz) hop aroma.

Yep, you'll have to come up with your own name for that one, but I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out fine. That Cooper's yeast is not the best, as is all that extract, but you have to brew with what you have. Enjoy!

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 11-10-2009, 09:08 PM   #3
JLem
Recipes 

Liked 169 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

would this fit in the Baltic Porter category, perhaps?

Old 11-10-2009, 09:19 PM   #4
Agtronic
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

HAHA! I'm laughing to myself, I think I will have a hard time saying "yeah man, this is my latest baltic porter". I think I'll just have to be honest and say "here's my latest frankenbeer" ...

I'm still not clear on how you guys can tell the difference in hops, and which go with which beers.

I know when I love a beer, and I've been passionate about the beers I love for many years, but I have never taken the time to analyze what I am drinking, and I can't decipher what I'm tasting, and which part I like or dislike. I guess that will come with time.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:26 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3488

This is one of the best breakdowns/discussions of styles of beers http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/catdex.php

From there to get an idea of what hops/grains/yeast goes into each style, look at several recipes both in our archives and online, and look at what common ingredients are used. And google is your friend- Typing in something like "what hops go into a baltic porter?" can net some great info, it may not give you exactly the info, but it will lead you down some great educational paths, to help you fuse your passion with knowledge.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-10-2009, 09:28 PM   #6
mugglesport
Recipes 

My first brew was a Munton's IPA can kit and I added three pounds of light DME and no sugar to the boil. It ended up tasting like Shiner Bock.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:20 AM   #7
82ABShizzle
Recipes 

Heh...I did that for my second brew except I used LME...It's got another 10 days in the primary. I was wondering if the pre-hopped extracts lose alot along the way. Either way, I love IPA's and can tolerate Shiner.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:34 AM   #8
JLem
Recipes 

Liked 169 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

After rereading the OP, I realized that the hops were only boiled for 15 minutes (as was the entire wort apparently). This is going to give you practically no bitterness - maybe only 5-6 IBUs, which I think is even less bitter than Bud Light. So, depending on how dark the "dark" extract is, I think you're going to end up with a sweeter, less bitter, darker version of Bud Light, though possibly with more hop aroma. (definitely NOT a Baltic Porter)

My Beer Cellar

Old 11-11-2009, 03:29 AM   #9
Agtronic
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for the link to the beer styles! I am reading through that right now!

A dark bud light? I dunno, at the very least, my beer should be plenty malty no? Bud light is like yellow water. Don't forget that the LME I used is hopped. I put in the Saaz for 15 minutes to give the wort some extra hops aroma, in an effort to balance out the 3.3 lbs of DME.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:34 AM   #10
mmb
FNG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3204 Times on 3106 Posts
Likes Given: 181

American Dark Hybrid, perhaps?